New to utah and to hopefully Kiting

For beginners of kiting or windsurfing, or people new to the area to introduce themselves and ask questions.
Forum rules
Welcome to the Utah Windrider's Association
-This forum is for people new to the area or just getting into Windsurfing, Snowkiting, or Water Kiting. Please reference which sport(s) in your subject heading.
-Please introduce yourself and tell a bit about how you got into the sport.
-Hopefully people will be able to answer any questions that you might have. Please see the "Learn to Windsurf" or "Learn to Kite" links above.
-It is UWA website policy to register using your full name. First name initial/full last name is acceptable. Thanks for your cooperation.
-We were all beginners at one time, hopefully we'll all remember that in this forum.

New to utah and to hopefully Kiting

Postby Scotty Megan » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:45 pm

I just moved out to Utah a few months ago for a job promotion. I grew up on the St. Lawrence River in Northern NY. I have sailed my whole life, started on sunfish, raced 420s, recently been playing on Hobie cats a lot. I used to date a girl who was big into windsurfing and so I do have some experience in that sport. used to spend a week every year in the outer banks, what an awesome place to learn! I would get home and try to windsurf on the river and i felt like I had amnesia haha.

Any ways I have been looking for ways to get out on the water here. Thought about buying a sailboat but at my apartment I just dont have space. Nearly the same goes for windsurfing, no space, and I hate the sheer amount of gear you need to accumulate. So I have thought about dabbling into kiting. I love how easy the equipment is to store and travel. I also like how you can use them during the winter as well! And I already have all the gear for that! My friend in FL is huge into it and cant stop raving about it. So I stopped in at cloud 9 to talk about getting into the sport, equipment overview, and how to really start. They hooked me up with a trainer kite and I have been having a blast with it! It is just a 2m and it has given some serious pull a few times during gusts so I am sure a full size kite is a handful! It must be a bit terrifying that first time you fly a big kite. I am 6'2" and 190lbs so that must have some bearing on board size and kite size? What is a good size kite to start out with? and board for that matter. I still haven't fully researched everything so forgive my ignorance.

Anyways it is my goal this summer to get into the sport. I am sure this site will have a huge amount of info for me! I kind of want to take a lesson but at the same time most of the prices I have seen are pretty high. My buddy has a friend in PC into it so maybe I can snag a lesson or 3 from him for a few cases of beer. But for now I will just keep flying this trainer.

Scotty Megan

Re: New to utah and to hopefully Kiting

Postby Chris G » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:21 pm

Hi,
Welcome to Utah.
You made a good choice getting familiar on a trainer before jumping into the big ones. One of the differences between a trainer and a full size kite is the presence of center lines which allow you to "sheet in" or out to dump or add power. This makes them a lot more tolerable than the full power full time of a trainer kite.
As far as lessons, totally mandatory as far as im concerned. Whether you pay for them in money or beer, you need to make sure a qualified person shows you the ropes. Kiting is dangerous, and without instruction it can be deadly.
With that out of the way, I am sure your instructor will help you with kite selection, but if I was new into kiting in Utah and could only afford 1 kite it would probably be something in the range of a 13.
I hope you are enjoying the state and wish you good luck in your kiting pursuit. It is a blast.
-Chris
Chris G

Postby Scotty Megan » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:07 am

I love the state so far! there is so much to do here!! So I guess I really should dish out the cash for a lesson. I just am kicking myself in the ass bc I missed like 4 learn to fly days back east, that were free. So a 12m is a pretty versatile sail for Utah? would you also be able to use this in the winter? It will be a long while before I want to go out on days that are nuken. Is there a spot that would be the most novice friendly? I am sure for my first rig I would want something used because it might get beat up pretty bad?
Scotty Megan

Postby Marty Lowe » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:26 am

Here is a good deal on a 13M that is local,
better hurry, it wont last long at this price.
http://www.ikitesurf.com/classifieds.iw ... &sort_by=3
Marty Lowe

Postby Marty Lowe » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:31 am

I can't get the link to post.
it is add # 72184
Marty Lowe

Postby Scotty Megan » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:42 pm

Thanks for the heads up! I sent him an email. I used to use iwindsurf to find gear, no idea there was an ikitesurf hahaha, thanks!
Scotty Megan

Postby DanSudweeks » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:38 pm

I was informed that your story mirrored mine, and I was advised to contact you. I too have recently moved from out of state to Utah. I am interested in learning how to kite board and have been trying to fine someone who can teach me. I mention this to you in the event you find someone to teach you my thought is maybe we can join together and get a discount on our lessons. Let me know if you are interested.

dan
DanSudweeks

Postby bordy » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:06 am

Kites cost 2000 dollars."..lesson at a resort to learn how to ski or snowboard are 600 a day and that is super easy to do....if the price of learning to safely kite with a instructor cost to much, to not die while kiting then maybe this isn't the sport for everyone....

Take a lesson..learn from your instructor not this forum....

Anyone who buys a kite with out lessons is going to get hurt..

Come check out the beach and ask people questions....do not buy a kite in till u are educated via instruction
bordy

Postby Marty Lowe » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:06 am

I thought this post from NWkite forum may be the best thing for a beginner to read.

http://www.nwkite.com/forums/t-26403.ht ... cfa16587d1
Marty Lowe

Postby Spencer Nelson » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:25 pm

Hey There! I just moved back to Utah as well and am looking to get into Kiting. I picked up some gear from Cloud 9 last week and am ready to get out and have some fun!
Spencer Nelson

Postby Jake-wright » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:54 pm

that made me laugh!
Jake-wright

Return to Newcomers and Transplants Forum