Visiting from Boston - KiteSurfing

For beginners of kiting or windsurfing, or people new to the area to introduce themselves and ask questions.
Forum rules
Welcome to the Utah Windrider's Association
-This forum is for people new to the area or just getting into Windsurfing, Snowkiting, or Water Kiting. Please reference which sport(s) in your subject heading.
-Please introduce yourself and tell a bit about how you got into the sport.
-Hopefully people will be able to answer any questions that you might have. Please see the "Learn to Windsurf" or "Learn to Kite" links above.
-It is UWA website policy to register using your full name. First name initial/full last name is acceptable. Thanks for your cooperation.
-We were all beginners at one time, hopefully we'll all remember that in this forum.

Visiting from Boston - KiteSurfing

Postby Michael Lee 1278 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:20 am

Hello Everyone, Just wanted to say hello. I'm currently living in Boston but am being convinced very quickly how gorgeous the SLC area actually is. Was out there all last week and be back this Tuesday until Monday. This time I'm bring my kites as evidently there is a large kiting community! From what I hear, 4+ days a week of wind? I'm lucky to get 1 day a week here in the NE. Anyway, on our regional forum it's good etiquette to say hello so HELLO! I hope I get to see some of you out there, I'll be sure to say hello and check in on the local beach rules so I dont ruin any spots.

Oh, about my skill level.. I'm still a relative beginner as I started last summer. So far have kited in Mexico, Hatteras, New England and hopefully SLC soon. If anyone has any suggestions on where to go please let me know. I'll have to work in Sandy, UT until ~ 5pm so will have the evenings and of course the weekend.

Cheers!
-Mike

PS: Suggestions on what to bring? I'm thinking my 9m, 13m F-One's... My 17m Zephyr is kinda large.. Think I'll need it? I'm going to rent a board I think as 150 ea/way sucks when they push it. (Golf bag doesn't always work)
Michael Lee 1278

Re: Visiting from Boston - KiteSurfing

Postby Craig Goudie » Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:52 pm

Hi Mike,

I am not a Kiteboarder, and I'm sure some one who is will reply shorty, but I do have some knowledge of the weather here,
and this time of year (July and August), it would be pretty unusual to average 4 days a week, and you might be wanting
that 17M. The Kiters here are knowledgeable, friendly and committed (or maybe the they should be ;*) ). Utah is an outdoor
recreation paradise.

Wishing you safe travels and good luck.

-Craig

Michael Lee 1278 wrote:Hello Everyone, Just wanted to say hello. I'm currently living in Boston but am being convinced very quickly how gorgeous the SLC area actually is. Was out there all last week and be back this Tuesday until Monday. This time I'm bring my kites as evidently there is a large kiting community! From what I hear, 4+ days a week of wind? I'm lucky to get 1 day a week here in the NE. Anyway, on our regional forum it's good etiquette to say hello so HELLO! I hope I get to see some of you out there, I'll be sure to say hello and check in on the local beach rules so I dont ruin any spots.

Oh, about my skill level.. I'm still a relative beginner as I started last summer. So far have kited in Mexico, Hatteras, New England and hopefully SLC soon. If anyone has any suggestions on where to go please let me know. I'll have to work in Sandy, UT until ~ 5pm so will have the evenings and of course the weekend.

Cheers!
-Mike

PS: Suggestions on what to bring? I'm thinking my 9m, 13m F-One's... My 17m Zephyr is kinda large.. Think I'll need it? I'm going to rent a board I think as 150 ea/way sucks when they push it. (Golf bag doesn't always work)
Craig Goudie
Sailing the Gorge on my:
8'4" OO Fat Boy, 7'9" OO Slasher, 7'4" Goya SurfWave
with Northwave Sails
Craig Goudie
Site Admin

Postby bordy » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:35 am

Bring your big kite this time of year 17m kites are the norm... craigs of course correct. Spring and fall delivery but summer cam monsoon out like it is right now, if the monsoon pattern clears then deer creek will thermal daily with big kite winds.... Check out craigs forecast and ask questions when you are here, I am not sure if there are boas rentals locally but cloud nine may be the best bet.

Good luck,

Billy...
bordy

Postby Michael Lee 1278 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:30 pm

Ok, I'm going to leave the 9 at home and pack the 13 and the 17. I only need the 9 if it's ripping 25+ so I think that should be good.
Michael Lee 1278

Postby Craig Goudie » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:37 pm

Hi Mike,

The weather here is extremely variable, and how are you going to feel if a 9M day or 2 turns up?

So, the 13 and 17 probabilistically cover more bases, but if you can afford the traveling space, I'd bring the 9 as well.
I also don't know about rental boards if such exist, but Cloud Nine, or maybe Don Losee (a frequent poster here)
at 3B might have some rentals. You might also try Mr. Windzup Brian Schenck http://www.windzup.com
another frequent poster here.

-Craig

Michael Lee 1278 wrote:Ok, I'm going to leave the 9 at home and pack the 13 and the 17. I only need the 9 if it's ripping 25+ so I think that should be good.
Craig Goudie
Sailing the Gorge on my:
8'4" OO Fat Boy, 7'9" OO Slasher, 7'4" Goya SurfWave
with Northwave Sails
Craig Goudie
Site Admin

Postby Michael Lee 1278 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:07 pm

49lbs later.. 3 kites, trainer kite, 2 bars, wetsuit, harness.. I'm gtg.. I think cloud 9 will rent boards but if not there is always a sheet of plywood from home depot! Now if those T-Storms will clear out I'll go riding!
Michael Lee 1278

Return to Newcomers and Transplants Forum