new to the forum and possibly new to the area

For beginners of kiting or windsurfing, or people new to the area to introduce themselves and ask questions.
Forum rules
Welcome to the Utah Windrider's Association
-This forum is for people new to the area or just getting into Windsurfing, Snowkiting, or Water Kiting. Please reference which sport(s) in your subject heading.
-Please introduce yourself and tell a bit about how you got into the sport.
-Hopefully people will be able to answer any questions that you might have. Please see the "Learn to Windsurf" or "Learn to Kite" links above.
-It is UWA website policy to register using your full name. First name initial/full last name is acceptable. Thanks for your cooperation.
-We were all beginners at one time, hopefully we'll all remember that in this forum.

new to the forum and possibly new to the area

Postby richard donovan » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:08 am

why no information about Bear Lake? I used to live in Wyoming and Montana and heard rumors of sailing Bear Lake. I do not see any reference to conditions and such at Bear Lake. Why?
richard donovan

Re: new to the forum and possibly new to the area

Postby Craig Goudie » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:20 am

Well, you don't get much forecast info from me for a couple of reasons. Bear lake is almost too
far for a day trip, and I tend to stick with what's available about 1 to 2 hours from the SLC metro
area, where most of the Wind Riders are located, but I do have some experience with Bear lake
from my old water skiing days. Just like most of the area, Bear lake will blow with ridable
conditions under an approaching front, and after one. Naturally, I'd recommend the
North end on a South wind (before a front), and then the South end on a North wind
(after a front passes). But it also seems to develop an afternoon breeze virtually every
day when no weather makers are approaching. The afternoon breeze is probably rideable
and quite steady in the 8/16M range most summer days.

-Craig

richard donovan wrote:why no information about Bear Lake? I used to live in Wyoming and Montana and heard rumors of sailing Bear Lake. I do not see any reference to conditions and such at Bear Lake. Why?
Craig Goudie
Sailing the Gorge on my:
8'4" OO Fat Boy, 7'9" OO Slasher, 7'4" Goya SurfWave
with Northwave Sails
Craig Goudie
Site Admin

Postby bordy » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:28 pm

richard donovan wrote:why no information about Bear Lake? I used to live in Wyoming and Montana and heard rumors of sailing Bear Lake. I do not see any reference to conditions and such at Bear Lake. Why?

Becuase it is very low on anyone priority list.. Hopefully the rest of the website will make up for it....
bordy

Postby DaveHubbel » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:56 pm

The wind sensor on Mesonet that appears to be on the east shore of the lake looks like it is actually tucked into a little canyon when you zoom in on its location, so that side of the lake is kind of a black hole for wind sensors. It will report South or west at 5 when the sensors in the same valley up in Idaho are reading 15-20 from the NW
DaveHubbel

Return to Newcomers and Transplants Forum