New to Park City area

For beginners of kiting or windsurfing, or people new to the area to introduce themselves and ask questions.
Forum rules
Welcome to the Utah Windrider's Association
-This forum is for people new to the area or just getting into Windsurfing, Snowkiting, or Water Kiting. Please reference which sport(s) in your subject heading.
-Please introduce yourself and tell a bit about how you got into the sport.
-Hopefully people will be able to answer any questions that you might have. Please see the "Learn to Windsurf" or "Learn to Kite" links above.
-It is UWA website policy to register using your full name. First name initial/full last name is acceptable. Thanks for your cooperation.
-We were all beginners at one time, hopefully we'll all remember that in this forum.

New to Park City area

Postby markbown » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:20 pm

Hi! I was out kiting Deer Creek yesterday and got a chance to meet some really nice people. Thanks more making me feel welcome!! Could someone tell me the best tool to forecast wind? I'm used to using windfinder, NOAA marine, NDBC, etc... Those national charts predicting fronts are greek to me. Also I saw the thread thanking Craig for his forecasts, but could not find his forecast thread. Thanks again for helping a newbie out!!!!!
Mark
markbown

Re: New to Park City area

Postby Craig Goudie » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:27 pm

Hi Mark, and welcome to Utah,

At the top of this page is a tab marked "Weather". Clicking on that will take you to the UWA weather page
which can be quite handy for making your own predictions. My Forecasts, come from the "Forecasts-Where to Ride " section of the "Wind Riding" forum. To get there, click on the UWA home tab above, and the scroll down the page until you get to the Wind Riding forum, and click on the Forecasts-Where to Ride. I've stopped
forecasting for the liquid season, but the Winter Forecaster (Kenny), will be along as soon as there's enough
base to Snowkite. I might also suggest you check out the Local Sites & Maps tab at the top of the page.
you can get a fair amount of info on where and when to ride from that.

-Craig

markbown wrote:Hi! I was out kiting Deer Creek yesterday and got a chance to meet some really nice people. Thanks more making me feel welcome!! Could someone tell me the best tool to forecast wind? I'm used to using windfinder, NOAA marine, NDBC, etc... Those national charts predicting fronts are greek to me. Also I saw the thread thanking Craig for his forecasts, but could not find his forecast thread. Thanks again for helping a newbie out!!!!!
Mark
Craig Goudie
Sailing the Gorge on my:
8'4" OO Fat Boy, 7'9" OO Slasher, 7'4" Goya SurfWave
with Northwave Sails
Craig Goudie
Site Admin

Re: New to Park City area

Postby markbown » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:15 pm

Craig,

Thanks for the welcome and all the helpful info. It's a great web site and I'm sure I'll get a lot of use from it. I'm glad to be in Utah and am looking forward to snowkiting for the first time!

All the best,
Mark
markbown

Return to Newcomers and Transplants Forum