Abbreviations and locations

For beginners of kiting or windsurfing, or people new to the area to introduce themselves and ask questions.
Forum rules
Welcome to the Utah Windrider's Association
-This forum is for people new to the area or just getting into Windsurfing, Snowkiting, or Water Kiting. Please reference which sport(s) in your subject heading.
-Please introduce yourself and tell a bit about how you got into the sport.
-Hopefully people will be able to answer any questions that you might have. Please see the "Learn to Windsurf" or "Learn to Kite" links above.
-It is UWA website policy to register using your full name. First name initial/full last name is acceptable. Thanks for your cooperation.
-We were all beginners at one time, hopefully we'll all remember that in this forum.

Abbreviations and locations

Postby kay oppe » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:06 pm

As windsurfing new arrivals from OBX, My husband and I are learning the locations in the area.. I assume ULLB is Lincoln Beach? DC is Deer Creek? We are still connected to the Outer Banks and before that we windsurfed in Cabrillo Beach, CA.
We live in Nephi now, we would like to know closest locations for North Wind day and South Wind day. Looks like South Wind, Yuba. North Wind Lincoln Beach. Provo Harbor ok for both.... Deer Creek ok to both...Pelican Point North Wind. Weekends are our best options, we hope to meet some of you in the near future and join you on the water. So glad there is a great WIND LOVING community in Utah !
kay oppe

Re: Abbreviations and locations

Postby Craig Goudie » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:14 pm

Greeting Kay and Welcome to Utah,

Jargoneeze:

UL = Utah Lake
ULLB = Utah Lake Lincoln Beach
ULSSB = Utah Lake South Sandy Beach
MM19 = Mile Marker 19 (on the SW side of UL)
DC = Deer Creek

From Nephi, You'll have to do some driving often for wind and water.
If you haven't yet, I recommend you have a look at the Local Sites & Maps
tab localsites.php, and the Weather tab
weather.php in the Water Site Specific Weather Info
for the best information on what blows where and when.

I've already seen you post in the wind log from Mona and you've at least researched Yuba.
North post frontal winds typically don't get into either Mona, or Yuba. Your best bet
for wind at Yuba is in the AM preceding any weather disturbance coming in from the Southwest.
I've sailed some excellent winds at Yuba, but I have a heck of a time predicting wind there.
Mona doesn't get much North wind, but on predicted South wind in the 20-30 MPH range in SLC
you typically get 5.5M conditions for a 170 lb guy at Mona.
That same type pattern, with a Southwest cant, gets you planable SW winds in the same range at most
Utah Lake Locations, but the Favored launch for Windsurfers is a place call MM19.
You can get pretty good swell there on a 4.5 day, but that would be a long drive for you.
You can get South winds down at Lincoln beach but expect it to be gusty,
and again, the prevailing winds have to be strong out of the South for that to work .

Utah lake is really best on post frontal North winds. If it is North (rather than NW),
it is very steady, and can get strong. Favored launches for this are Saratoga Springs park
(known by the old timers as Pelican Point), and the Boat Harbor (which is a typically a little
lighter and gustier). From where you live, your best bet on a North is UULB (take booties),
and expect a lot of Kite action down there. ULLB can also be good in the late Summer
when a thermal sets up in the 7.5M sail range from the North late afternoon.

Deer Creek, is not good post frontal on a North. I've sailed some planable North wind there
(4.5 in fact), but that is a really weird direction for DC. DC sets up with a 7.5 SW PM thermal
up the canyon on most days without any major weather changers, when the the temp difference
is 30 degrees (or better) in the Utah county valleys. If there's an approaching front, sail sizes
will be about a meter smaller, and the thermal comes up earlier. Wind quality is best on a
pure thermal, but DC is always a little gusty. Another lake (Jordanelle) which is North of
DC by about 15 Miles has a similar thermal that comes up a little earlier, and dies earlier.

During the Summer, there's not a lot of wind, and most of the locals head for the Gorge.

You should try and make the opening Social (Meltdown) at Brewvies in Salt Lake, if you
can tolerate the drive. It'd give you some indication of the local flavor.

Post specific questions in the main message board and somebody will likely answer them.

Hoping you get a windy season,

-Craig

kay oppe wrote:As windsurfing new arrivals from OBX, My husband and I are learning the locations in the area.. I assume ULLB is Lincoln Beach? DC is Deer Creek? We are still connected to the Outer Banks and before that we windsurfed in Cabrillo Beach, CA.
We live in Nephi now, we would like to know closest locations for North Wind day and South Wind day. Looks like South Wind, Yuba. North Wind Lincoln Beach. Provo Harbor ok for both.... Deer Creek ok to both...Pelican Point North Wind. Weekends are our best options, we hope to meet some of you in the near future and join you on the water. So glad there is a great WIND LOVING community in Utah !
Craig Goudie
Sailing the Gorge on my:
8'4" OO Fat Boy, 7'9" OO Slasher, 7'4" Goya SurfWave
with Northwave Sails
Craig Goudie
Site Admin

Re: Abbreviations and locations

Postby kay oppe » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:46 pm

Craig, Thanks for the Beta! can't make Video night unfortantly. Look for our Road Trek Van with windsurfing gear cage on the back. Hope to see you on the water sometime.
kay oppe

Return to Newcomers and Transplants Forum