Wetsuits of choice to maximize the season?

For beginners of kiting or windsurfing, or people new to the area to introduce themselves and ask questions.
Forum rules
Welcome to the Utah Windrider's Association
-This forum is for people new to the area or just getting into Windsurfing, Snowkiting, or Water Kiting. Please reference which sport(s) in your subject heading.
-Please introduce yourself and tell a bit about how you got into the sport.
-Hopefully people will be able to answer any questions that you might have. Please see the "Learn to Windsurf" or "Learn to Kite" links above.
-It is UWA website policy to register using your full name. First name initial/full last name is acceptable. Thanks for your cooperation.
-We were all beginners at one time, hopefully we'll all remember that in this forum.

Wetsuits of choice to maximize the season?

Postby Windog » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:04 pm

I am new to the area, and new to cold water windsurfing.

I have windsurfed mostly in temperate regions with temperate water. The coldest I have done were a few seasons in the chilly pacific in Waddell Creek in the SF Bay Area. But even then, the outside temperature was warm, and though most folks were wise to use 4/3s or similar, I made do with a 3/2.

So, I have the 3/2 still, as well as a shorty. I figure I'll get some use out of those in the warmest lakes, hottest days of summer, and trips to the Gorge/Bay Area.

What is popular wisdom on the spring suit? 5/4? 6/4? From what I am reading a good 5/4 should keep warm in 40 degree water.
Dry suit seems overkill. I figure if I windsurf in winter, it'll be with a snowboard contraption, on snow and wearing ski gear.

By the way, I am in Eden. Pineview Reservoir will be my local spot, driving where needed when life permits. I already missed a strong day Tuesday this week due to lack of proper suit. Can't let that happen again.

I look forward to meeting you all in the water and chatting on shore.

Cheers!
Manuel
Last edited by Windog on Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Windog

Re: Wetsuits of choice to maximize the season?

Postby Craig Goudie » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:31 pm

Greetings and Welcome to the area Manuel,
A lot of folks do get by with a 5/4, but I am a DrySuit fan, maybe it's because I'm skinny (or used to be),
but I have a lot more fun in the Spring in my drysuit. I also have a 5/3, and a 3/2, I even have a shorty for Maui.
With a drysuit, usually , it's your hands or face, that drive you off the water in cold conditions.

Vern Stokes is the local Pineview expert, and you'll likely be sharing the lake with his intrepid group of Kiters. He might
respond to a pole boarder ;*)

There are a lot of us that work most of our sailing through the Gorge. PM me if you're interested in joining us up there.
Otherwise, watch the forecast, there's a small group of crazy sailors who spend a lot of mornings out there, but you'll need
more than a 3/2 to survive. Likewise, there's a band of DC sailors also, so look for a good 7.5 day up there, if you want to
catch a few sailors, or post in the it's blowing, I'm going section, and see what you pick up.

-Craig

Windog wrote:I am new to the area, and new to cold water windsurfing.

I have windsurfed mostly in temperate regions with temperate water. The coldest I have done were a few seasons in the chilly pacific in Waddell Creek in the SF Bay Area. But even then, the outside temperature was warm, and though most folks were wise to use 4/3s or similar, I made do with a 3/2.

So, I have the 3/2 still, as well as a shorty. I figure I'll get some use out of those in the warmest lakes, hottest days of summer, and trips to the Gorge/Bay Area.

What is popular wisdom on the spring suit? 5/4? 6/4? From what I am reading a good 5/4 should keep warm in 40 degree water.
Dry suit seems overkill. I figure I windsurf in winter, it'll be with a snowboard contraption, on snow and wearing ski gear.

By the way, I am in Eden. Pineview Reservoir will be my local spot, driving where needed when life permits. I already missed a strong day Tuesday this week due to lack of proper suit. Can't let that happen again.
I look forward to meeting you all in the water and chatting on shore.

Cheers!
Manuel
Craig Goudie
Sailing the Gorge on my:
8'4" OO Fat Boy, 7'9" OO Slasher, 7'4" Goya SurfWave
with Northwave Sails
Craig Goudie
Site Admin

Postby Windog » Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:28 pm

Hi Craig,
Thanks for the reply. I'll look into the dry suits.
I'll also look for Vern.
What are "DC" sailors?
And, yes I will be looking to head up to the Gorge. I'll ping you once I start to have a feel for my availability.

Cheers!
Manuel
Windog

Postby Craig Goudie » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:17 am

Sorry,

Utah Jargonese. DC equals Deer Creek Reservoir. Located 55 minutes South East of SLC. 7.5 thermals in the Spring, can be enhanced to 6.5 by approaching storm fronts.
Take I-80 E towards Heber. 27.35 miles
Merge onto US-40 E via exit number 148 toward HEBER/VERNAL. 13.39 miles
Drive through Heber City and take W RIVER RD/CR-3130. Continue to follow W RIVER RD to DeerCreek
Right turn at Island Beach for island beach launch or follow road around lake to get to Sailboat beach near Dam.

-Craig

Windog wrote:Hi Craig,
Thanks for the reply. I'll look into the dry suits.
I'll also look for Vern.
What are "DC" sailors?
And, yes I will be looking to head up to the Gorge. I'll ping you once I start to have a feel for my availability.

Cheers!
Manuel
Craig Goudie
Sailing the Gorge on my:
with Northwave Sails
Craig Goudie
Site Admin

Postby Windog » Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:09 pm

Thanks for the detailed DC info Craig!

What are the usual dates you guys head up to the Gorge?
Windog

Postby Craig Goudie » Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:54 pm

We're there over the Memorial day weekend Holiday, over the week preceeding up to and
including the 4th of July, The week after the 24th of July, The week of Labor day.

Basically any holiday week, plus a lot of other days in between.

PM me here for really detailed information about my schedule,
but you're likely to find somebody from Utah at The Hatchery, Doug's, or the Wall,
any time you go during June, July, or August.

-Craig

Windog wrote:Thanks for the detailed DC info Craig!

What are the usual dates you guys head up to the Gorge?
Craig Goudie
Sailing the Gorge on my:
with Northwave Sails
Craig Goudie
Site Admin

Postby Windog » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:00 am

Hi Craig,
Looks like I am finally going to get my first sailing this coming weekend since moving to Utah. Based on your forecast, I am looking at Sulfur as my best option from Eden. My only question is water temp as I have been dragging my feet on the Wetsuit front (instead spent lots of $$ on MTB and Skis to gear up in those areas), so my full length 3/2 is what I have. Truly, with my years of sailing, I don't have to get wet too often unless I am going for it, so being a bit cold in the water would be OK.

Next up, I have booked the 23 through the 29th in Hood River, so I look forward to meeting the Utah contingent up there, and catching up with a Fort Lauderdale sailor that spends summers regularly in the Gorge.

Cheers,
Manuel
Windog

Postby Craig Goudie » Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:43 pm

Greetings again Manuel.

The water up at Sulfur remains cold year round. I understand the desire not to wear a lot of rubber, but I
always dress for a potential lengthy swim. I'd need a 4/3 in August up at Sulfur, and probably a 5/4 right now.
As I said earlier, I don't tollerate cold very well.

If you like, ping me when you get to Hood River, there will be quite a Utah contingent up there then.
i'm headed up in about 4 hours.

-Craig

Looks like I am finally going to get my first sailing this coming weekend since moving to Utah. Based on your forecast, I am looking at Sulfur as my best option from Eden. My only question is water temp as I have been dragging my feet on the Wetsuit front (instead spent lots of $$ on MTB and Skis to gear up in those areas), so my full length 3/2 is what I have. Truly, with my years of sailing, I don't have to get wet too often unless I am going for it, so being a bit cold in the water would be OK.

Next up, I have booked the 23 through the 29th in Hood River, so I look forward to meeting the Utah contingent up there, and catching up with a Fort Lauderdale sailor that spends summers regularly in the Gorge.

Cheers,
Manuel
Craig Goudie
Sailing the Gorge on my:
with Northwave Sails
Craig Goudie
Site Admin

Postby Windog » Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:06 pm

Thanks Craig, I'll be sure to ping you in OR. Headed over to Sulfur, may double up on the 2.2 shorty and the full 3.2 suit to brave that cold water.
Windog

Postby Windog » Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:26 am

Hi Craig,
Drove 11 hrs from Eden to the Gorge yesterday and I was rewarded with a 25mph session at Rowena before even reaching the Hood.

I'd love to meet you and any other Utah sailors who happen to be around this week.

Where are you sailing today?

Cheers,
Manuel
Windog

Postby Craig Goudie » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:21 am

Hey Manuel, glad you got some Rowena Rides yesterday.

Today I'm sailing the friendly winds of Rockwell Collins in SLC, but tomorrow, I'll be up in the Hood for the next 9 days.
A good bet is that I'll be at the Hatchery tomorrow around 11 AM. Look for a Green Ford Aerostar with Oregon license
plates. I'm tall, old, and I used to be skinny. Ear ring in the left ear. I'm sailing an Open Ocean board with
pink lightning bolt graphics (the only one of it's kind).

If I don't end up at the Hatchery tomorrow, I'll ping you on this thread.

-Craig

Drove 11 hrs from Eden to the Gorge yesterday and I was rewarded with a 25mph session at Rowena before even reaching the Hood.

I'd love to meet you and any other Utah sailors who happen to be around this week.

Where are you sailing today?

Cheers,
Manuel
Craig Goudie
Sailing the Gorge on my:
with Northwave Sails
Craig Goudie
Site Admin

Postby Craig Goudie » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:11 pm

From the forecast, it looks like I'm headed to Doug's tomorrow!

-Craig
Craig Goudie
Sailing the Gorge on my:
with Northwave Sails
Craig Goudie
Site Admin

Postby Windog » Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:57 am

I didn't make it to Dougs, just some Swell City runs later in the day.I am thinking east is the thing today... the Wall, or maybe Dougs if it looks good on the way there...

Will keep an eye out.
Windog

Return to Newcomers and Transplants Forum