Newcomer french kitersurfer in Utah

For beginners of kiting or windsurfing, or people new to the area to introduce themselves and ask questions.
Forum rules
Welcome to the Utah Windrider's Association
-This forum is for people new to the area or just getting into Windsurfing, Snowkiting, or Water Kiting. Please reference which sport(s) in your subject heading.
-Please introduce yourself and tell a bit about how you got into the sport.
-Hopefully people will be able to answer any questions that you might have. Please see the "Learn to Windsurf" or "Learn to Kite" links above.
-It is UWA website policy to register using your full name. First name initial/full last name is acceptable. Thanks for your cooperation.
-We were all beginners at one time, hopefully we'll all remember that in this forum.

Newcomer french kitersurfer in Utah

Postby Romain Danielou » Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:35 pm

Hi all,
My name is Romain, I'm 27, I'm french (from Brittany, west of France) and just arrived in Utah for a two years (or more) expat contract in Ogden.
I've been practicing kitesurfing for almost 4 years, thus one of the first thing I did when I arrived was to check where/when to ride? :)))

Two weeks ago I went down to DeerCreek Res, where I met a cool guy Todd who briefly taught me how mountain winds work and gave me few advices to ride DC. (special thanks to him).
I would really like to meet cool guys in the suroundings to share sessions or to have a drink to debrief session.

For the moment, my kites are still in the plane but it should be delivered next week.
My biggest kite is a RPM 12sqm, as I read I would probably have to buy a even bigger? Which brand/model would you advise me to take?

I've already check the "Local Sites Page" and all is on my map!
Here is my FB profil : https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1269409195

I think that I will also need to learn so many things about wind forecasts, cause I don't really understand it for the moment! Is a Meteorohy PhD :88 required?

Hope to meet you soon
Romain
Romain Danielou

Just dropped from Brittany, France.

North Vegas 7, Slingshot RPM 9 & 12
North Team Series 140
Romain Danielou

Re: Newcomer french kitersurfer in Utah

Postby Craig Goudie » Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:11 am

Greetings Romain and welcome to Utah.

Naturally, needing a bigger Kite will depend on how heavy
You are, and how big your biggest board is. Just as a guess,
You might be able to squeak by with a 12 if you are less than 150
Lbs. Otherwise, you'll be wanting a 14 at least .

I would also suggest you join the Facebook page KWA -Kiters with Attitude.
https://m.facebook.com/groups/642336029 ... ref=nf#_=_
You'll need to get somebody to sponser you .

As to needing a meteorology degree, The wind making weather
in Utah, can be a little challenging , but with a little practice
using the weather page you should develop enough skills to save
some gas. You can check my forecast most days in the summer
to confirm your conclusions, but it is typically based on a male rider
of approximately 180 lbs.

Good luck out there.

- Craig's

Romain Danielou wrote:Hi all,
My name is Romain, I'm 27, I'm french (from Brittany, west of France) and just arrived in Utah for a two years (or more) expat contract in Ogden.
I've been practicing kitesurfing for almost 4 years, thus one of the first thing I did when I arrived was to check where/when to ride? :)))

Two weeks ago I went down to DeerCreek Res, where I met a cool guy Todd who briefly taught me how mountain winds work and gave me few advices to ride DC. (special thanks to him).
I would really like to meet cool guys in the suroundings to share sessions or to have a drink to debrief session.

For the moment, my kites are still in the plane but it should be delivered next week.
My biggest kite is a RPM 12sqm, as I read I would probably have to buy a even bigger? Which brand/model would you advise me to take?

I've already check the "Local Sites Page" and all is on my map!
Here is my FB profil : https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1269409195

I think that I will also need to learn so many things about wind forecasts, cause I don't really understand it for the moment! Is a Meteorohy PhD :88 required?

Hope to meet you soon
Romain
Craig Goudie
Sailing the Gorge on my:
8'4" OO Fat Boy, 7'9" OO Slasher, 7'4" Goya SurfWave
with Northwave Sails
Craig Goudie
Site Admin

Postby andrewcarey44 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:13 am

Welcome Romain! Kiting in Utah is amazing but can have by majority light wind days. A 17m kite has become a standard among the locals as well as directional boards. The latest are foilboards that allow you to fly much smaller kites in light wind. The KWA page helps as its in facebook format so it's easy to post and check however Craig's forecasts are extremely valuable! I check them every morning. Here is my phone number if you have any questions or would like to chat (801) 541-9339. If you're interested, I have a 2014 Best TS 17m I may be looking to sell.
andrewcarey44

Postby Romain Danielou » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:57 pm

Hello Guys,
Thank you very much for the answers, I really appreciate, I tried to get into the Facebook group but sounds like I'll have to wait to meet somebody to sponsor me. (unless one of you have the kindness to be my sponsor :))) )
I'm still waiting for my kites, they may arrive on next wednesday.

I think I will try to ride my 12 and when I'll be bored to spend afternoons on the beach, I'll buy a 17sqm kite. ;))
I just took my yearly pass for State Park yesterday... now waiting for the wind.

One last question from which beach/place do you usually launch your kite at Williard?

I'm looking forward to meet you on the water.
Thanks again
Romain
Romain Danielou

Just dropped from Brittany, France.

North Vegas 7, Slingshot RPM 9 & 12
North Team Series 140
Romain Danielou

Return to Newcomers and Transplants Forum