Powder Mountain Access Meeting

Daily Wind forecasts, questions about weather, gear, locations, etc.

Postby windzup » Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:04 am

My thoughts have always been the same, open the sport up first, then let it develope commercially. My number one goal with promoting my own business has always been promote the sport first and my company second, and both will eventually grow. Competition in the marketplace is good yes, once the market place is open, competition also can lead to lame brand wars... so lets keep the brands out of this and open up a mountain, even if its a slow process.

This is from Jake Burton, founder of Burton Snowboards.

One of the keys to the success of Burton was Jake's push to make snowboarding a sport, even though initially ski area access was not on Jake's agenda. "I kept saying, 'this sport has got to happen". It worked almost too well. "Sport first," he says, pointing to his introduction in an early catalog which promotes the sport of snowboarding without mentioning Burton the company. "Purely sport, not Burton. We worked with ski areas. We set up competitions. But left ourselves open."

excerpt taken from:
http://burton.com/Company/CompanyMeetJake.aspx

So lets get an event going, promoted by local riders, maybe the UWA, or a self appointed group and lets make part of this winters race circuit series take place at Powder Mtn.... management accepting of course.

Events aside, my main concern is them simply first officially opening the place up, charging us to be there and allowing us to legitly be there. Then a comp/event or even brands could come in and grow the place......but first it must be 'opened'.

More to follow..Windzup, Brian Schenck - I mean all this with the best intentions. I have a sincere interest to see the sport grow, and not be limited or pigeon holed. Snowkiting is a pure sport, that needs not be tainted by other outside influences or industries, like snowboarding, snowkiting has a chance to develope into its own thang.... (and I would like to see it grow without a tainted view from the windsurf/kitesurf industries:)
windzup

Postby lesvierra » Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:24 am

WORD! Thanks Brian.. Man I liked Burtons first snowboards. The stoke started out back like a weed and nothing could stop it.
lesvierra

Postby Marty Lowe » Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:48 pm

My personal take on snowkiting at Powder Mountain.....

To many people/interests, coming from to many directions,,
The easiest thing for Powder Mountain management to do,,
Will be to say NO,, to kiting....

We're not dealing with Gov't agencies that wants a lot of input..

At this point, it may be easier to ask for forgiveness, than permission.

Maybe if we just fly under the Radar,,,, (Towers)....
(you have to have kited at PM to get that last line)

-Marty 8)
Marty Lowe

Postby Augie » Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:43 am

We had our first ski patrol meeting last night and I found out I little more info to pass along. First and foremost, we have been concerned about the insurance and whether or not we would be enough benefit to offset the costs. I was told that insurance is not a problem and a rider can be added to their existing policy at no cost. Big things are planned for the future and there might even be 3 new lifts next summer. However, I was also told that besides the lifts potentially going in there probably won't be any other building for 3-5 years. Powder Mountain also bought a 12 passenger enclosed snowcat with stereo and heat from the Yellowstone Club private ski area in Montana. I also found out that Powder Mountain owns almost all of Flattop mountain. I have a vision of kiting out there and taking the snowcat, although it will primarily will be used for Lightning Ridge and to explore other cat skiing terrain. Maybe we could get shuttled out there with it, who knows? Flattop is also proposed as a potential golf couse site but that could still leave it open to kiting in the winter as long as they don't try to plant too many trees.There has been someone up at Powder Mountain looking at their current operations lately and how things are run now. In fact, they caught the end of my kiteskiing presentation and were interested. I was again assured that it looks positive for the long term for us.
Augie

Postby Jacob Buzianis » Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:16 am

GREAT NEWS!

Great thanks to you Augie for keeping us in touch on what's happening at Powder Mountain and being involve with issues.

This is great news.
Jacob Buzianis

Cool beans Augie!

Postby stokes » Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:12 pm

Sounds dope!

How long does it take to travel from Sugarhouse to the kiting area?

I live roughly at 2100 East and 2100 South.

My only dilemma will be convincing myself to not drive 30 minutes to PC. On the other hand if the terrian is that great and there is a terrian park, lifts and cats. That is pretty hard to pass up.
Stokes
stokes

Postby Augie » Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:39 pm

First of all, we don't have official permission yet this year. However, we have kited there for the last 3 years without problem. Late last year the insurance company discoverd what we were doing and shut it down. As I stated earllier-the insurance was the biggest hurdle and that appears to be worked out. It sounds extremely positive for this year but new owners change the game rules and we haven't been given permission yet. There is no terrain park (yet) and snowcat use is something that we are looking at for the future. However, the terrain sits on a pass between Ogden and Cache valley and gets fairly consistent winds. It is also at about 8,000 feet so the snow is better than PC. I know that ALL of the ski areas lie about their average snowfall but Pow Mow claims 550 inches a year. It takes me about 45-50 minutes to get there from South Ogden.
Augie

Postby lesvierra » Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:36 pm

Here is part of the master plan below.

This picture lies on the easterly side of flat top, not showing most of flat top mountain. Maybe all homes to the west, maybe more golf. But your right Auggie, most is owned by a powder mountain holding company. Who knows what will happen, but could be absolutely anything.

quote from the masterplan "Powder Mountain Resort encompasses approximately 7,960 acres of land within Cache and Weber Counties, Utah. Current expansion plans for the resort call for 500 new homes, 1,000-1,500 condominiums and townhouses, two villages with up to two hotels and seven restaurants, three Nicklaus signature golf courses, 10 to 15 new ski lifts and an indoor equestrian arena. "

Good by to alot more aspens.
lesvierra

Postby lesvierra » Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:40 pm

of course the views and hot chocolate will be beachin. Good time for a ridgeline ordinance.

lesvierra

Directions

Postby stokes » Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:30 pm

It takes me about 45-50 minutes to get there from South Ogden

Holy shiza!!!! Am I getting this right,

- 45 minutes from S.O
- It takes me about 40 minutes to get to S.O.
- About 1 1/2 hours to POW MOW for me, and 3 hours round trip, OUCH!

It looks like POW MOW might be similiar to Skyline and be a RV destination for the weekend.

Stokes
stokes

Postby lesvierra » Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:31 pm

paybacks are hell. 3 hrs round trip is what I have to do to get down where you guys summer ride (UL & rush). slc right? Powder Mnt is 4 miles up the road from my house.

keep the heater on at skyline (or PM) when you're rv'ing, we froze up pretty bad at the kite festival, had lots of leak repairs after the thaw. better for you to stay in our bonus room here with a pull out bed.
lesvierra

Postby Jacob Buzianis » Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:11 pm

Hey Les, I want to stay with you instead of driving everyday to get to Pow. Mt
Jacob Buzianis

Postby lesvierra » Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:35 pm

ooh, yeah! that's just because my wife thinks you're cute. you're welcome here anytime, lots of room. might want to bring your wife though, she's not bad either. wifes can talk real estate.
lesvierra

Postby stokes » Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:58 pm

better for you to stay in our bonus room here with a pull out bed.

Oh thanks Jake, LES offers it up to me and you just jump in and steal my invite, smooth move. I appreciate the offer Les, hopefully Jake won't be trying to share the bed with me!

Stokes
stokes

Postby lesvierra » Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:49 am

Lil snow, hot tub, and wine, you guys'll be fine. Floor is comfy too. I think if you guys frequent my house, my wife will let me kite more. A little peer pressure goes along way.

We're having a Halloween shin dig on the 28th, you can stake you're claim then. Any and all you guys are invited (even poleboarders) if you can handle the drive. They'll be plenty of food and drink. Maybe even an offering to Ullr the snow maker with fire and old ski equipment. More info later.
lesvierra

PreviousNext

Return to Main Message Board