Subscribing or Uns to receiving forum notifications to email

Daily Wind forecasts, questions about weather, gear, locations, etc.

Subscribing or Uns to receiving forum notifications to email

Postby joshgubler » Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:01 pm

Instructions for Subscribing or Unsubscribing to forum notifications to email

A lot of people have asked about receiving posts as text messages on their cell phones. It looks like we've got that working now.

• If you have any current subscriptions, remove them. (User Control Panel -> Manage subscriptions -> Mark all -> Unwatch marked)
  • Go to a Forum or Topic you want to subscribe to.
  • At the very bottom of the page there is a blue banner with a link that says "Subscribe Topic" or "Subscribe Forum". Click on it.

You will now receive emails whenever somebody (other than yourself) posts to the Topic or Forum.

Now, how do we get these emails to our cell phone? There are two ways. (1) Set up an email filter to forward the emails, or (2) change your email address to your phone's email address.

Setting up an email filter

This is the prefered method as it allows you to still receive other UWA emails in your regular inbox and not on your phone. Unfortunately, not all email providers allow forwarding based on filters. But assuming your's does:

• Somewhere in your email, there is a place to create filters. Find that.
  • Filter on "From = forum@utahwindriders.org" and "Subject = {Forum Name}" (i.e. "It's Blowing", "It's Gonna Blow", "Main Message Board", etc).
  • Set the action to be "Forward email".
  • Set the email address to be the email address of your phone (i.e. 8019999999@vtext.com, 8019999999@sprint.com, etc).

If the above options don't work for you, get a gmail account. It's free.

Changing your email address

If your email provider doesn't allow filter based forwarding, and for some reason you don't want to get a gmail account, you're only option is to change your email address on the board.

joshgubler

Re: Instructions for receiving forum notifications

Postby Josh Shirley » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:13 am

This is something Gubler and I have been kicking around for some time now. This is an amazing update to the website. One that everyone has access to and not just paid members! So pay the 12$ fee to keep these good things rolling.

Have you ever thought: "boy I wish I had the daily forecast sent to my email or phone?" Well this is why we set this up. Follow the simple instructions the Gubler spelled out. Then go to the new forecast forum and subscribe to that forum. Now what will happen is next time Craig gives his daily forecast a copy of the text will be sent to your email or phone. Amazing! and Free!

So if you are wondering why there is a new forum for Forecasts this is why. Only forecasts will be sent to your email not every posting on the board.

If you need help setting this up give me a call. 801 859-9897 Josh.

Email filter is a good idea.
For those that have blackberries this is great.
If your wireless phone provider charges for text messages then be aware that you will be charged for each text message. Here are the email addresses for the major wireless providers:

Blackberries - use your regular email address
AT&T Wireless your number@mobile.att.net
Cingular your number@cingularME.com
Nextel your number@messaging.nextel.com
Sprint PCS your number@messaging.sprintpcs.com
Tmobile your number@tmomail.net
U.S. Cellular your number@email.uscc.net
Verizon your number@vtext.com
VirginMobile your number@vmobl.com

Cool.
Whatever thou art, do well thy part.
Josh Shirley