Is this what we need to work towards?

Daily Wind forecasts, questions about weather, gear, locations, etc.

Re: Is this what we need to work towards?

Postby Marty Lowe » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:40 am

Super Simple
This could be a starting point.
Make this into a page we could print off and put on everyones windshield.

Anyone have a program to make this into a usable, letter paper size, sign?
And post it as a pdf file, we could all print off?

Not a final solution, just a temporary thing,
then still work on a better, launch specific, solution.

What do you think?

Marty Lowe

Postby PeterMiller » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:51 pm

I will be happy to make 3 signs
Lets just make sure this is what we need :88=
I could have them done tommorrow
I would like others comments and where we will hang the signs and do we need permission?
From Willard, Lincon Beach, and Deer Creek
PeterMiller

Postby John Dubock » Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:59 am

I'm a man and I'm watching. Never heard such pure crap in ten years on this Forum, makes me sick. Since when is freedom "jumping a boat"...I think the police call that "endangering lives" on the city streets that yes, even hippies use. Go ahead jump the wrong boat, hurt innocent people, last I checked prison time wasn't exactly freedom.

Hundreds of hours of UWA 'old timers' like Grant, Milo and others built up the sport in Utah and this thread is just out of control. Take it to your own kiter forum, yeah and I'm putting my name on this post. I for one don't intend to lose Deer Creek and more access, so yeah keep up the posts, show your colors.

We SHARE the water, all the water, go get your own Freedom Fighter lake and do whatever you want.

Mike Rossberg about six years ago put the hammer down on shit like this, guess there's a new Generation of "freedom fighters" out there. Selifish, pure and simple, you're not invisible riders, take some pride since we all enjoy a simple sport.

Ahh I feel better now, I'm sure this is not as bad as I think it, I'm going sailing, and yes you can call me anytime, PM me with another side of the story if I'm way off here.
John Dubock

Postby bordy » Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:17 am

John,

I am not agreeing or disaagreeing with anything you posted except, "take it to your own kiter forum" I really enjoy the input from everyone.

This is our forum also, we pay dues, here, we contribute here and we all use the services here. It called the Utah windriders, not the utah windsurfers... We have been working through some very tough growing pains as a communiy since our numbers are doubling every year having our fellow windriders telling us to take a hike doesn't help one bit???

Billy Bordy,
Sailer since birth 72
windsurfer, since 82
kiter 06
kite winduro national champ 09 and 10
alaround swell fella..alway
Team Ozone rider
oh and I think I may be the current kite pres for UWA as well
bordy

Postby John Dubock » Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:41 am

it ws my opinion, don't brand any other "windriders". I'm entitled to my opinion, as you can see by my other 'kite' posts I'm hoping for a solution. Not being a kiter I don't see the high growth of kiting in Utah, and yes you guys are "windriding brothers". Its just frustrating seeing a few hotheads hijacking this Forum and yeah I think it should be taken offline, find a solution. But try "jumping" over my mast and all brotherhood goes out the window, you won't do it since you're a local, but a newbie kiter might think its "freedom"...

Windsurfers are more concerned with boats and rogue jet skis, you kiters are cool, I love seeing the kites as I come around the corner at DC.

I see solutions at Hood River, where thousands kite, windsurf and boat together all summer. Takes cooler heads, not insurgent tactics. Man whats in those cookies anyway!

My sons did 118 backcountry ski days this year, they report dangerous activity in the backcountry, from snowmobiles, to tourists without beepers, etc. so perhaps I'm a bit hyper sensitive to what I'm reading here lately.
John Dubock

Postby bordy » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:07 am

I think the majority of us are trying to find some safe solutions to fortifiy our kiting spots. I just don't think our own forum is a solution, it great to have others from the windriding community share what they think its important for all the windfolk to stick together. Even if you don't want me to jump your mast (how bought if I spin and grap and smile at ya while doing it) ;)) I think we don't have the ability to "take it offline" since it hard to put us all in one spot, and I think the hotheading online can be cuased be the inability to communicate as well through written text, vs persoanl communication. I know everyone that contributes online and they are all great passionate folk, who really want whats best for kiting, but We (myself included) are all not great writers so the forum does get a bit acward, I am sure this particular post reads very poorly to some one who has not met these folks in person. I am glad to see the discussion here verises no discussion at all which is how it has been going, plus its great to see other windriders like yourself share their thoughts its all just information, some good some bad, but I would rather see a junk show online involing memebers of the community, bickering, slaming flaming, or what ever it is called. Cuase it seems beter then us not doing anything but bitching on the beach. I am Sorry if it offends and concerns you but you sharing the fact it does is very cool, I would be bummed if it came down to just a few people making choice for the community based on only their opions, thanks for sharing yours, very good points also a life long mountaineer I know where your sons are coming from. It does only take a few bad apple to spoil the bunch, it feels like right now we are trying to cut out the bad parts and make apple sauce, or maybe some cider :)))

I am of course whating for the wind to come up so I am hanging out on the computer. I had been rereading this post to try and feel creative about options and saw yours, I know its your opinion and had not place judgement or anything like that, I would just hate to lose the support of the windriding community while our sport needs some growth.

Oh and since My eardrum blew up I will be riding strapless today at DC so it will be inpossable for me to jump over anything today. hehehehehehe
bordy

Postby Kenny » Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:11 pm

Oh and since My eardrum blew up I will be riding strapless today at DC

First Jake blows his eardrum and now Billy. You guys do ride hard!!!

Billy, kudos to you for being considerate in your responses to John Dubock. John is a great guy and he is fun to be around. It has been a few years since I have been riding with John, but I look forward to the next opportunity.

I would point out to our windsurfing brethren that people unfamiliar with the sports of windsurfing and kiteboarding often get the two mixed up. So, it is wise for the kiteboarding community to do some self-policing so as not to hurt the reputation of windsurfing. Most of the kiteboarders do respect other people and their property. I have seen problems occur primarily with new riders that either are ignorant or are so overly anxious to get on the water that they sacrifice good safety protocol. Beginners really do not belong at DC.

Marty, I like the sign. Should we say something along the lines - "Please speak to a local rider before launching" Whenever, I ride a new area, I always talk to a local rider to determine the hazards that are associated with that area. This gives me an opportunity to show the local that I care about keeping their launch area open and that I am a competent rider.
Kenny
Site Admin

Postby RickHeninger » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:14 pm

BTW... The signage would not label the "organization"... It just gives safety advice... Liability will only go on individuals. As it should be... Although I'm pretty much stating the obvious.
RickHeninger
Site Admin

Postby PeterMiller » Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:47 pm

I completed one of my circles today
delivered sign to Billy Bordy for Deer Creek

" Warning
Expert Kite Lanch
Please Stay Clear
Of Kites & Kitelines
Please Use Caution
Thank You for Staying Clear"

Things are moving forward!
:)))

I have been taught that a incomplete circle is the definition of insanity
PeterMiller

Postby Leo Chan » Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:55 pm

Lanch? You mean Launch? Hope it did say launch on the sign. :mrgreen:
Leo Chan

Postby PeterMiller » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:54 pm

Yes its right on the sign launch - just a type on the forum
PeterMiller

Previous

Return to Main Message Board