Craig... Internet access in Hood River?

A place to ask your questions or give up your secret tips about the Columbia River Gorge

Craig... Internet access in Hood River?

Postby John Freed » Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:00 am

Craig... it sounds like you probably now know every interent access point around Hood River (thanks to your daily part-time job of guiding us toward some wind on the Wasatch Front - even while at the Gorge)... anyway besides the Hood River Library, are there some other places (cheap or free) where you can hook in if you take your own computer up there, or is the library the best bet?
John Freed

Re: Craig... Internet access in Hood River?

Postby Guest » Fri Jun 09, 2006 5:00 pm

If you have wirless, the Starbucks works, and the place next to the
River City Saloon. You can also get a signal from about mainstreet
North in Stevenson.

I'm actually getting a signal in the condo these days, because
the real news is:

Wi-Fi blankets Hood River for next 90 days
Saturday, May 27, 2006
The Web's free and wireless in Hood River, for at least the next 90 days.

Embarq Corp., which was the local phone division of Sprint Nextel Corp. until it was spun off last week, has built a free Wi-Fi network covering Hood River's three square miles. The newly independent company is experimenting with wireless Internet access and has made Hood River its second test site. The first one went online in Henderson, Nev., in March.

For the next 90 days, Embarq said Friday, it will test the network's capabilities and explore ways to make it operate profitably. At the end of that time, the company hopes to sell or lease the network to the city of Hood River.

Enjoy!

-Craig

John Freed wrote:Craig... it sounds like you probably now know every interent access point around Hood River (thanks to your daily part-time job of guiding us toward some wind on the Wasatch Front - even while at the Gorge)... anyway besides the Hood River Library, are there some other places (cheap or free) where you can hook in if you take your own computer up there, or is the library the best bet?

Postby Craig Goudie » Fri Jun 09, 2006 5:03 pm

Oops, Posted as a guest. Sorry John, it really is me.

-Craig
Craig Goudie
Sailing the Gorge on my:
8'4" OO Fat Boy, 7'9" OO Slasher, 7'4" Goya SurfWave
with Northwave Sails
Craig Goudie
Site Admin

Other WiFi access locations

Postby Guest » Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:31 am

here are some other free WiFi spots: The Tyee Motel in Rufus has free WiFi, Andrew's Pizza in Hood River, all of downtown Stevenson including Bob's Beach, the Dodge Dealer in Hood River has free WiFi but doesn't know it.

Perfect Craig, Thanks!

Postby John Freed » Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:58 am

Thanks Craig... That is just great! That will really help in the never ending quest to fool those who think you are hard at work when you are really "working the river".
John Freed

Re: Other WiFi access locations

Postby Craig Goudie » Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:55 am

Let me just mention that I've never been able to get a good enough signal
on the beach at Bob's, but The Walking Man across the tracks can work.

-Craig

Guest wrote:here are some other free WiFi spots: The Tyee Motel in Rufus has free WiFi, Andrew's Pizza in Hood River, all of downtown Stevenson including Bob's Beach, the Dodge Dealer in Hood River has free WiFi but doesn't know it.
Craig Goudie
Sailing the Gorge on my:
8'4" OO Fat Boy, 7'9" OO Slasher, 7'4" Goya SurfWave
with Northwave Sails
Craig Goudie
Site Admin

Return to Gorge Q&A