UWA Gorge weekend '06

A place to ask your questions or give up your secret tips about the Columbia River Gorge

Re: Count us in for the Get Togethers....

Postby Marty Lowe » Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:19 am

Craig Goudie wrote: Just text me or give me a call sometime between
11 and 2 if you like. At the minimum, we can still meet up
for dinner that evening.

-Craig

On my calendar,
expect a text.

-Marty 8)
Marty Lowe

Postby jason morton » Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:58 pm

Marty-
7/20- 7/29 for me. Text me with daily weather/ kite plans please. Regan will be in kite school probably.
jason morton

Postby Marty Lowe » Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:54 pm

jason morton wrote:Marty-
7/20- 7/29 for me. Text me with daily weather/ kite plans please. Regan will be in kite school probably.

You need to get out of the corridor this year and come to Rufus/Wall
(if windy)
Unless it all coastal.......

-Marty 8)
Marty Lowe

Me too

Postby bordy » Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:58 pm

Keep me in the loop also please! I am planing on being there from the 19 to the 25 or so!

Billy
435-602-2935
bordy

Postby Chris Hedquist » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:58 pm

Just booked my trip up there from the 20-24. The last hurrah before i head off to grad school in DC. Anyone know my options out there? Anything close...virginia, delaware?

Chris
Chris Hedquist

loop

Postby tjacques » Sun Jul 15, 2007 4:11 pm

i would like to be in the loop. will be there 21st - 6th
todd
901-3120
tjacques

Postby Mark Johnson » Sun Jul 15, 2007 4:31 pm

The wife and I will also be headed to the gorge leaving on Thursday the 19th and plan on hitting the coast sometime maybe Sunday and Monday after visiting my dad in Washington. Might be able to meet up with some of you. I can be texted at this number.
801 618 7417
Mark Johnson

Postby lesvierra » Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:33 am

Just booked my trip up there from the 20-24. The last hurrah before i head off to grad school in DC. Anyone know my options out there? Anything close...virginia, delaware?

Chris,

All up and down the coast from delaware down through maryland (Dewey beach to Ocean City, anyways) could be good. Lots of open beach. One place to look for is Indian River Inlet close to the state line between delaware and Maryland. I use to surf there, sometimes with windsurfers. Talk about scary, wind surfers were halling ass, couldnt see them, they couldnt see us until the last minute. We could at least see the top of the mast for warning.

I just did a quick google or indian river inlet and kiteboarding, looks like there is a shop or two and some reading to do on the subject.
lesvierra

Postby MikE mAy » Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:55 am

Sal and i will be there. sounds like jake billy and company will be going up the same time as us. i think the plan is to be at rufus. i plan on going to the tiki part for my first time.
801-971-2380- sal will be with me.

big question though- what is the water temps? what should i bring for a wettie? i guess my only question is a full suit neccessary? will i suffice in a shorty or wettie top?
MikE mAy

Postby Craig Goudie » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:19 am

By that time the water temp right around the DAM (where Rufus is)
will be right around 70 degrees.

-Craig

Mike M wrote:Sal and i will be there. sounds like jake billy and company will be going up the same time as us. i think the plan is to be at rufus. i plan on going to the tiki part for my first time.
801-971-2380- sal will be with me.

big question though- what is the water temps? what should i bring for a wettie? i guess my only question is a full suit neccessary? will i suffice in a shorty or wettie top?
Craig Goudie
Sailing the Gorge on my:
8'4" OO Fat Boy, 7'9" OO Slasher, 7'4" Goya SurfWave
with Northwave Sails
Craig Goudie
Site Admin

Postby Marty Lowe » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:28 am

Mike M wrote:big question though- what is the water temps? what should i bring for a wettie? i guess my only question is a full suit neccessary? will i suffice in a shorty or wettie top?

If it's a little chilly, in the morning, you may want full suit.
Most of the time in July, I wear a shorty, sometimes with a "wettie top" under.
I like to be warm.
The coast is full warm wetsuit. Water temps 50 or lower.
See ya at Rufus, unless it's only blowing in the corridor.

-Marty 8)
Marty Lowe

Postby MikE mAy » Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:04 am

ok- one more stupid question for a newbie. i hope to be a full fledged veteran by the end of the trip. well, maybe just an experienced gorger.

question- what is the scene like up there as far as camping goes? is there towns nearby? if we are camping up at rufus is it reasonable to assume that i'll need a full on grill or whatever camping equipment i need to cook food, or is there a burger or pizza place nearby? i'm equipped for the former, but dont' want to lug all that gear up there if it isn't neccessary. i want to pack as low key as possible. lunches and breakfasts i'm down with cold food, but will probably want lots of warm food after kiting all day. it just looks a long way away from hood river township....
MikE mAy

Postby Marty Lowe » Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:43 am

Mike M wrote:ok- one more stupid question for a newbie. i hope to be a full fledged veteran by the end of the trip. well, maybe just an experienced gorger.

question- what is the scene like up there as far as camping goes? is there towns nearby? if we are camping up at rufus is it reasonable to assume that i'll need a full on grill or whatever camping equipment i need to cook food, or is there a burger or pizza place nearby? i'm equipped for the former, but dont' want to lug all that gear up there if it isn't neccessary. i want to pack as low key as possible. lunches and breakfasts i'm down with cold food, but will probably want lots of warm food after kiting all day. it just looks a long way away from hood river township....

If out east. (Rufus) We camp at Peach Beach or Maryhill, just on the other side of the river from Rufus. We get breakfast burittos at the quick stop store in Rufus most mornings. There is Bobs Texas steak house there we eat at once or twice in a week. Biggs is by the Maryhill bridge, and has McDonalds and a few other quick stop stores. Fresh fruit stands by Maryhill and Peach Beach. The Dalles is 20 Miles away. Full ammenities, Hood River is another 20 Min from The Dalles. Tucker park, south of Hood River is always a favorite campground to be based from if most of your time is spent in the corridor. Campgrounds can fillup on weekends. It's always best to get camp spot ASAP, but hard to pass by wind to setup camp. Car camping has endless options. Many other options
One good rule in the Gorge, is stay east of the cloud line for wind. i.e. If cloudy in Hood River, go east.

Lots of Gorge hounds here, you should get more input soon......

-Marty 8)
Marty Lowe

Postby lesvierra » Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:57 am

I'm jumping in with Mike and Sal. House fixin can wait. We are debating leaving late thursday night (after Mike's concert) or early friday morning. Question for the guys with the crystal ball, when the wind blows at rufus does it usually blow into the evening? Is it that predictable?

We might get some sleep thursday night and just head out early for the DKT, but part of the DKT is kiting on the 'drive to' day. MUST KITE!
lesvierra

Postby Marty Lowe » Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:22 pm

lesvierra wrote: Question for the guys with the crystal ball, when the wind blows at rufus does it usually blow into the evening? Is it that predictable?

We have been doing the 4am thing. Then getting the afternoon session at Rufus. It is an afternoon and evening thing (most of the time)
If it's windy at 3 Mile, don't pass it up, we will kite there if it's windy.

-Marty 8)
Marty Lowe

PreviousNext

Return to Gorge Q&A