Viento State Park

A place to ask your questions or give up your secret tips about the Columbia River Gorge

Viento State Park

Postby JeffGerke » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:22 am

We camped at Viento State Park last month when we stopped in the gorge. I didn't see Viento listed in the top 20 launch guide on this site. Looks like a decent place to sail and convenient if camping there. Is it a decent spot to windsurf? What ability levels is it suited for?

Thanks,

Jeff
JeffGerke

Re: Viento State Park

Postby Craig Goudie » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:31 am

Viento is a dandy place to sail athough the launch is a ways away from the camping. Favored
on a Northwest wind because of the wicked bend in the river, Viento is sailable on both East and West
winds and has the highest number of sailable days (on average) in the Gorge. The bad news is
that it typically is at least a sail size bigger on days when it is blowing elsewhere, and if the wind
is SW, W, or N, it tends to be gusty.

-Craig

JeffG wrote:We camped at Viento State Park last month when we stopped in the gorge. I didn't see Viento listed in the top 20 launch guide on this site. Looks like a decent place to sail and convenient if camping there. Is it a decent spot to windsurf? What ability levels is it suited for?

Thanks,

Jeff
Craig Goudie
Sailing the Gorge on my:
8'4" OO Fat Boy, 7'9" OO Slasher, 7'4" Goya SurfWave
with Northwave Sails
Craig Goudie
Site Admin

Return to Gorge Q&A