Renting windsurfs/ where to go

For beginners of kiting or windsurfing, or people new to the area to introduce themselves and ask questions.
Forum rules
Welcome to the Utah Windrider's Association
-This forum is for people new to the area or just getting into Windsurfing, Snowkiting, or Water Kiting. Please reference which sport(s) in your subject heading.
-Please introduce yourself and tell a bit about how you got into the sport.
-Hopefully people will be able to answer any questions that you might have. Please see the "Learn to Windsurf" or "Learn to Kite" links above.
-It is UWA website policy to register using your full name. First name initial/full last name is acceptable. Thanks for your cooperation.
-We were all beginners at one time, hopefully we'll all remember that in this forum.

Renting windsurfs/ where to go

Postby tinamarsoc » Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:24 pm

Hi there,

My husband and I live in Durango CO. He is an avid windsurfer and is turning 30 at the end of the month. I'm trying to plan a fun weekend where we can hang at the lake and he can surf. I looked into: Deer Creek Resevoir, Yuba Lake, and Utah Lake. Does anyone know where I can rent a windsurf in any of these locations? Or do you have any recommendations on where to go? I'd like to keep our travel time around 6 hours from Durango.

Thanks!
~Tina
tinamarsoc@gmail.com
tinamarsoc

Re: Renting windsurfs/ where to go

Postby Craig Goudie » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:32 am

Hi Tina,

Utah isn't exactly a destination windsurfing area, and this time of year is not particularly windy in Utah, but.....
there is some chance that you can get afternoon rides at Deer Creek during the late August period. You'll
probably be riding 150 ltr boards with 8M sails for a few hours a day. If a front passes through, then Utah lake will be
the best option post frontal. There really isn't any formal gear rental available, but I might recommend you contact
Josh Shirley on this forum by PM. Josh is the Western Regional Starboard rep, and he might be able to hook you up.

If/when you get into town, watch for my forecast in the "Forecasts-Where to Ride" tab on this forum.

You probably already know this, but you're only a 2.5 hour plane flight from Portland, and with a rental car you could
be in Hood River an hour later. Pretty good potential for wind and rentals there. If you develop an interest in that
post back here, and I'll give you my recommends. I spend a lot of time up there.

Good luck,

-Craig

tinamarsoc wrote:Hi there,

My husband and I live in Durango CO. He is an avid windsurfer and is turning 30 at the end of the month. I'm trying to plan a fun weekend where we can hang at the lake and he can surf. I looked into: Deer Creek Resevoir, Yuba Lake, and Utah Lake. Does anyone know where I can rent a windsurf in any of these locations? Or do you have any recommendations on where to go? I'd like to keep our travel time around 6 hours from Durango.

Thanks!
~Tina
tinamarsoc@gmail.com
Craig Goudie
Sailing the Gorge on my:
8'4" OO Fat Boy, 7'9" OO Slasher, 7'4" Goya SurfWave
with Northwave Sails
Craig Goudie
Site Admin

Postby Josh Shirley » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:02 am

I do have some gear for rental.

Paddle boards, beginner windsurf kits, inflatable windsup, and rigs.
Lessons and gear sales.
Windsurf Utah - 801 910-4469

I think Utah is windy. But it isn't predictably windy.
That is Deer Creek Res will have wind 2 or 3 times a week but that often doesn't land on a Saturday / Sunday.
Also if you want to light wind sail (5-15mph) then wind can be found almost everyday.

Thanks
Josh
Windsurf Utah
Whatever thou art, do well thy part.
Josh Shirley
Site Admin

Postby Josh Shirley » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:08 am

Craig:
Actually I am the Starboard / Severne Brand Manager for North America.
That means I work with all the shops, dealers, team riders, and clubs in the US and Canada.
It is my full time job.
Windsurf Utah is a side business: gear sales and lessons.

Josh
Whatever thou art, do well thy part.
Josh Shirley
Site Admin

Return to Newcomers and Transplants Forum