Skim board for light wind?

Daily Wind forecasts, questions about weather, gear, locations, etc.

Skim board for light wind?

Postby Jake-wright » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:25 pm

I'm thinking about a new kiteboard for light wind days. Does anyone have experience with skims? I've read that they're good for lighter wind, but worry that manufacturers are just saying that because they suck in heavy wind? I'm looking for something that will get me on the water in winds too light for my 134 twin tip. Plus it would be a riot in the shallow butter ponds at SSB thanks!
Jake-wright

Re: Skim board for light wind?

Postby bradsaxe » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:05 am

SKIM FOR ALL TYPES OF WIND! The myth that skims are only for light wind is just that, a myth. Some of my best sessions have been on a skim and an 8m.

Here are the facts:
1) skims are relatively cheap when compared to other boards
2) skims make you a better rider since they are like kiting on a banana peel. They also make you a better kite flier.
3) skim tricks are rad and way harder than boosting on any other type of board. You may not be recognized as being rad because many people do not appreciate the degree of difficulty of moves that do not involve getting higher than 3 ft off the water but who cares.
4) Skims in the waves may be the coolest feeling ever (ok that maybe is an opinion but it's my opinion so to me it's a fact).
5) Skims will allow you to ride in breezes that may not normally allow you to plane on your skim but that is not their purpose in life.

I could go on and on. Just get one, hell get two I have two and I would like another. Skims are all different shapes for all different conditions. I ride Victorias (Ultra and Factor) but Zaps are good, Roush also good (but maybe harder to get),there are many more.

Depends on your weight but something in the 52-54" range for length and 20-21" range for width should be good. The wider the board the more flatwater appropriate but also a touch more slippery in my experience. There is also the characteristic of rocker to consider as well. Oh yeah and NO FINS!
bradsaxe

Postby Jake-wright » Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:32 pm

thanks brad! i actually think you were the initial cause of my inquiry. i think it was you on a 14m at SSB a month ago or so riding skim in the shallows of SSB while we all fought 16m+ in the waves!
Jake-wright

Postby Jake-wright » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:48 pm

Brad, have you ridden the LF twin skim? They look nice and i found one on a deal...wondering how they compare?
Jake-wright

Return to Main Message Board