kiting this weekend 6-3/4

Daily Wind forecasts, questions about weather, gear, locations, etc.

kiting this weekend 6-3/4

Postby MikE mAy » Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:12 am

i'm obviously still pretty green to the sport. i dont' have a board yet (until next week) and i'm wanting to get out this weekend for if nothing else to get familiar with the one kite i own. i have a few questions about where to head this weekend:

1- on a "thermal" day- one where craig is forcasting that there will only be thermal activity- what direction do these activities usually flow at rush and SSB? is there even a directional thermal flow or is it just random? when it's forcasted "thermal" would it be safe to say i'll just head out to rush or SSB and not get skunked? the one kite i own is 16m, so light thermal would be just fine with me.

2- is rush so mucky that body dragging wouldn't be very fun? will i just get covered in mud and moss?

3- how likely is it that someone will be there that will want to lend me a board for a sesh? i've got a newbie buddy that has a board, but i might not be able to get him out with me.

4- is SSB so incredibly trashy that it's essential to wear booties? i dont' have these yet either....

thanks for any input i may get. i just don't want to get skunked anymore. time to spend out at lakes is growing ever slim, and when i take the time to do it i don't want to get completely skunked....

laters,

Mike
MikE mAy

Postby rizzle » Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:37 am

Mike,

1- The ut thermal flow is nnw and rush and ut. lake launches( provo boat harbor, SSB-i wouldnt got there the launch is super scetchy with the water leavel, Lincoln beach) It seems like ut lake blows later than rush and the wind is smoother.

2-Rush isnt to bad yet in the next few weeks it could get pretty bad with moss.( just keep your mouth closed and you'll be fine)

3-I would say Its pretty likely, everyone is super cool..

4-SSB not a good place to go for beginers for now, the water leavel is way high, I would say go to lincoln beach it has a grassy set up area and a flat water area. I think its a great place for learning.

Fill free to call me with any questions Ryan 801-201-4005
rizzle

Postby Craig Goudie » Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:39 am

RY pretty much answered your questions. Let me just mention that
the North thermal at Rush is really what you want for learning.
It's not really strong, it's steady, and the lake is shallow. Utah lake
typically doesn't develop a North thermal until late in the year, but
it has the steadiest post frontal clearing winds in the state, so your
best bet out there (right now Lincoln) is post frontal. There is some
kind of weird downslope canyon thermal that happens at the
very South tip of UL, but I don't understand what generates it.
If Dean Davis is out there reading this maybe he can comment,
he's got some interesting theories.

The other predominent thermal is the upslope (orthograpic) that
happens at DeerCreek, and it typically blows Southwest in the Spring
and in the Fall in the PM. DC does not have great launches for Kiteboarders.

With regards to "is Rush too nasty", come on dude, you're a Kite boarder!
Maybe someday I'll get my act together and get my Kite out there
and actually learn how to do it. I'm feeling a desire to put my shorts
on over my wetsuit lately!

-Craig
Craig Goudie
Sailing the Gorge on my:
8'4" OO Fat Boy, 7'9" OO Slasher, 7'4" Goya SurfWave
with Northwave Sails
Craig Goudie
Site Admin

Postby lesvierra » Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:55 am

Quote: With regards to "is Rush too nasty", come on dude, you're a Kite boarder!

-this is the hardest I've laughed on this forum to date.

Mike, Im still green too. I tried to learn in the wrong locations last summer. I also have only one kite, 15m. I have spent 3 days total at rush this summer. 1st day up and down out of the water with a board no significant rides. 2nd day up and down with some rides. 3rd mostly riding. Rush is awesome. I'm trying to figure out how I can juggle life to get out this weekend. good luck.
lesvierra

Postby rizzle » Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:58 am

Craig,

you are the man.........

ry..
rizzle

Postby MikE mAy » Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:00 pm

thanks for the input guys. in response to the muckyness of rush- i'm just worried i guess becuase the only place i've been out on a kite so far is kitebeach, maui so i guess i've been pampered. i'm sure i'll get used to it in no time at all. i'm not afraid of a little mud.

thanks for the help with the thermal action. i'm still learning how, where and why the wind blows at all the different options we have here. but, i guess that is what everybody is still learning, otherwise it would be a no-brainer and craig wouldn't post his "where to ride" posts. it's just a matter of becoming educated i guess so i can make educated guesses as to where to go and when it will be appropriate to my skill level.

so, i hope to see some of you out there this weekend. if anyone has an extra board they want to loan me or let me try i'd appreciate it. i've yet to send paypal for a used board from back east so, if anyone has a good learner board they want to get rid of for $150, let me know.

oh, and i'll search for the exact location of lincoln beach, but if anyone want's to make it easy for me, i'd appreciate it.

hope to see some of you out there this weekend.
MikE mAy

Postby jason morton » Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:26 pm

THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A LEARNER BOARD AND AN EXPERT BOARD IS ABOUT A MONTH. A LARGER BOARD IS ONLY AN ADVANTAGE IN LIGHT WIND WITH AN UNDERPOWERED KITE. I RIDE A 135CM BOARD FOR ALL WIND CONDITIONS AND I WEIGH 240LBS. I ONLY RIDE A LARGER BOARD LIKE THE FANTASTIC SS GLIDE WHEN JON OR MARTY HAVE THEIR BACKS TURNED. I RECOMMEND YOU GET A BOARD IN THE 135-140 RANGE AND IT WILL LAST YOU THROUGHOUT YOUR LEARNING CURVE AND BEYOND. DO ASK ON THE FORUM ABOUT SPECIFIC BOARDS AS SOME FROM THE PAST WERE PROVEN LEMONS(LIKE THE SS DRAKE). JUST MY OPINION.
jason morton

Postby jason morton » Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:29 pm

RY-
WHAT'S THE CALL TONIGHT. LINCOLN? RUSH? LINCOLN THEN RUSH FOR A CAMPOUT? NOAA NOT CALLING FOR SW 10-20 TOMORROW ANYMORE.
jason morton

Postby rizzle » Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:14 pm

Jason,
Im thinkin lincoln tonight. we'll figure it, out see how late we can ride. You know im down for campin....
Ry...
rizzle

Postby Marty Lowe » Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:26 pm

jason morton wrote: I ONLY RIDE A LARGER BOARD LIKE THE FANTASTIC SS GLIDE WHEN JON OR MARTY HAVE THEIR BACKS TURNED.

Dooood,
You been sneaking my board again when I'm not watching??????????:roll:

A piece of 5/8 plywood, a saw, a drill, some varnish, t nuts, fins, straps, pads, and you too could own your own "Plyde".
Kinda heavy, but works as good as the original.
Ain't that right Ry?

Craig Goudie wrote:With regards to "is Rush too nasty", come on dude, you're a Kite boarder!
-Craig

I've probably had as much,
or more Rush, flush in every oriface I own, than most others.
I survived... Just a litttttttlllle glitch every once in a whillllllle.

-Marty 8)

I'm thinking Rush after work, maybe.
Already N in Tooele valley.
Marty Lowe

Postby MikE mAy » Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:32 pm

would this:

work? it's a 140.
MikE mAy

Postby rizzle » Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:42 pm

it will work fine, I'd cut off those pickle forks.....
rizzle

Postby Kenny » Fri Jun 02, 2006 5:13 pm

Mike,

The "picklefork" was the preferred style of board 4 years ago. Don't saw off the forks as you will lose your fins if you do! Don't worry it will still work okay.

I have a 135 2004 North Dragon that I will sell for $200 if you are interested.

I have been watching the forecast for this weekend and it keeps changing. Not sure what is going to happen. It does appear that it will be cooler tomorrow than originally forecast. Craig - we sure could use your help, right now as I am totally confused. Marty - may have to pull out the magic 8 ball if Craig is too busy on the water.

Mike,

There was an awesome poem about Rush several years ago that was posted by one of the windsurfers. The lake used to have dead carp and cow pies all over the beach. The flies were really nasty when the wind didn't blow. It is much better today. Not Maui, but for learning it actually is preferable to Maui because it is shallow (less than waist deep at the deepest) and the wind is very smooth on a north.

If you don't like Rush, you can join me on the Salt Ponds. The wind is actually much smoother there and the wind blows almost every afternoon. :wink:
Kenny
Site Admin

Postby Marty Lowe » Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:13 pm

Kenny wrote: Marty - may have to pull out the magic 8 ball if Craig is too busy on the water.

This one????

http://oit.utk.edu/macvolplace/8ball/

-Marty 8)
Marty Lowe

Postby jason morton » Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:43 pm

mike m-
I would buy Kenny's 135 dragon if i were you. the pickle fork is kind of dated and the newer boards ride much better. How much are they asking for the pickle fork anyway?
jason morton

Next

Return to Main Message Board