Slef Launch/Land Systems

Daily Wind forecasts, questions about weather, gear, locations, etc.

Slef Launch/Land Systems

Postby tombennett » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:16 am

Hey All: Not new to the area, but new to kiting here. I'm advanced beginner/intermediate.

I'm curious if everyone has recommendations for back up systems for self launching and self landing (anchor posts, webbing straps tied to bumpers or trees, etc.).

I realized there is no substitute for just knowing how to do it with nothing but the bar and kite, but given the potential for wide variations in weather conditions I'd like to have multiple options.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
tombennett

Re: Slef Launch/Land Systems

Postby Chase.Leibfritz » Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:47 pm

Where do you normally ride? There are several options. If I'm riding solo and there is a chance the wind speed may increase heaps, I'll sometimes tether a leash to my truck bumper at rush or a sandbag at lindon. After riding in the snow here, you should gain a lot of confidence at self landing. I'll drift launch if there is no one to assist on the beach as opposed to dragging my kite across nails and broken glass. If all else fails, you can always flag your kite out on it's safety line and let the kite land in the water. Check out the self-launch bag that comes with the new Flysurfer Boost kite.
Chase.Leibfritz

Re: Self Launch/Land Systems

Postby tombennett » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:56 am

Is there an area where you'd recommend to practice? I don't think the launch at Deer Creek is very friendly, and I've heard there are issues aleady around the Utah Lake launches. Maybe out by on of the shallow reservoirs like Rush or Grantsville? I'm thinking open space, sandy, not too crowded.

I was just in Long Beach and was watching some folks take lessons in exactly this---wide open beach, lots of sand, not many poeple. Not expecting a beach in Utah, of course, just the other stuff :)
tombennett

Re: Slef Launch/Land Systems

Postby Chase.Leibfritz » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:54 pm

If you wanted to practice self launching, the best would be find a grassy sports field (doesn't have to be at the lake.) Have someone else there that knows what they are doing to help catch your kite if something goes wrong. S. Sandy and Lindon are ok too if you don't mind getting your kite a little muddy. Take it to the water's edge and look around to make sure no nails, wood, or other sharp objects are near your kite. Again ask another kiter to be on standby in case something goes wrong. There is a core group of guys that are out riding whenever conditions are possible (even some of us out there too often when conditions aren't.) If you are the only one at the beach, it might not be the best day to be riding.
Chase.Leibfritz

Return to Main Message Board