Nice Blog Post On Andrew.... (And Rush Condition Discussion)

Daily Wind forecasts, questions about weather, gear, locations, etc.

Nice Blog Post On Andrew.... (And Rush Condition Discussion)

Postby gregwojtkun » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:29 am

Last edited by gregwojtkun on Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
gregwojtkun

Re: Nice Blog Post On Andrew....

Postby andrewcarey44 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:07 pm

Hey thanks Greg! I am itching to get back out on the water! Any word on Rush?
andrewcarey44

Postby gregwojtkun » Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:37 pm

andrewcarey44 wrote:Hey thanks Greg! I am itching to get back out on the water! Any word on Rush?

nada from me... Hoping someone closer to that area can provide a scouting report. :?:
gregwojtkun

Postby Todd Jacques » Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:23 pm

three man kiteforum. Andrew is da man. One thing for certain if a camera comes he has his game on :))) If no camera he is even better. Good dude to. Congrats on you observance bro. Shout out to Peter for keeping the stoke going.
Todd Jacques

Postby EdwardDalton » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:45 pm

gregwojtkun wrote:
andrewcarey44 wrote:Hey thanks Greg! I am itching to get back out on the water! Any word on Rush?

nada from me... Hoping someone closer to that area can provide a scouting report. :?:

Hey guys, I just moved to South Rim (development west of Rush) in November and can see Rush from my living room. This is my first year to kiting, so I don't know much, in fact I'm still trying to find some gear to start on. When I was younger and there was more water, my dad and uncle would bring me to Rush when they were riding a lot. I'd be happy to give you updates on Rush. I don't know what exactly your looking for, but it is filling up this spring. There is no fence across the lake, at least as far as I can tell (I was reading forums about there being one). We have had some good southwesterly wind that I flew my trainer kite and longboard on the other day. Hope that's helps. Let me know if anyone comes out. I'd love to come chat. Let me know if I can get anymore Intel for you.
EdwardDalton

Postby andrewcarey44 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:22 am

Edward! Welcome to the community! That is great news about Rush. Can you get some pictures of the lake? I am glad to hear that there no fence running across the lake! Do you know where the launch area is? I would love to see some pictures from that launch site. Thanks again for the update!
andrewcarey44

Postby Marc Hauver » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:15 am

Edward what we want to know is how much water is in the lake as it varies greatly from year to year and throughout the season. Pictures are great as they can show the shoreline which is how to know water levels. Glad to know we have eyes on the ground...
Marc Hauver

Postby Todd Jacques » Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:37 pm

Nice Edward. good meet you. Get some photos if you can
Todd Jacques

Postby EdwardDalton » Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:54 pm

Here are a few pictures from this evening. I was mistaken about the fence being gone, when I was looking closer at the far south end of where the water is in these pictures I noticed it. There is a lot more water right now than there was just a week ago, so hopefully it keeps filling up. I'm assuming with enough water it will ridable north of the fence? Hope these pictures help.
Attachments
image.jpeg
Rush Lake 3/1/2016
image.jpeg
Rush Lake 3/1/2016
image.jpeg
Rush Lake 3/1/2016
EdwardDalton

Postby andrewcarey44 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:23 pm

Thanks for the pictures! That much water is absolutely kite-able, with the warming trend (63, 64, 60, 61, 64 next 5 days) it will just continue to rise. Be careful of that fence. For safety reasons, its barbed wire, but we have had no contact with the new owner (who put the fence up). In talking with the Tooele County sheriff he is very possessive and will press charges for trespassing. That being said, I have contacted everyone and their dog who has anything to do with water rights, blm, Tooele sheriff, Tooele district attorney and no one will fully support our use of the water. Last year it was hard to justify our use based on the fact that it was bone dry. Now that there is water, we actually can say that it is open for recreation. However, no one in government is willing to take this guy on to get the fence removed. Look back on some threads from last year discussing the fence.
andrewcarey44

Postby Todd Jacques » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:27 pm

Andrew has this covered, but I find parking is the key. If you can park legally without trespassing and not pissing anyone off we should be ok. So everyone be careful and dont drive where you dont know what is legal. Hard to describe but we should be carefull wher we drive.
Todd Jacques

Postby EdwardDalton » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:04 pm

Does anyone know if the fence owner is claiming to own the land north or south of it? Ill ask around the neighborhood and see what I can find. Ill watch for you guys out there, and Let me know if you or anyone you know is selling gear. I will probably only be able to get two kites and a board to start this year. What sizes would you go with if you were limited to two?
EdwardDalton

Postby Todd Jacques » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:03 am

If we kite rush it can be all over the place size wise. It can be very good 7m or big kite 17m. But as usual if you had to pick to kites a 12m and a 9m could work.
Todd Jacques

Postby andrewcarey44 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:15 am

The BLM owns the southern portion and the private owner the North. I will bump the thread that explains and shows the property division. What I would be curious to see is if the access to the launch and the launch is on his property and if there are any signs or blockage on the the access road. I have attached a screenshot from google earth that I drawn in the access road (red) and launch area(black). If you can swing down there and get some pics of the access road and launch area that would be awesome. As for kite size, I have a 17, 12, 9 & 6. I rarely use the 9 & 6. If I was learning again, I would buy a 17 and a 12. The new tech has a ton of range and allows you to fly larger kites in stronger wind. However thats easy for people to say when they have the flying skills. If you are learning, a 17 can be a bit intimidating.
Attachments
rush_3.2.16.JPG
andrewcarey44

Postby gregwojtkun » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:14 am

Great recon on Rush! Seems like it needs a few more gallons but getting there... My guess was mid March for ride able depths.

Andrew - Any way we can get public information of the Parcel ownership?? Seems like Marty did that when a similar issue surfaced in 2011 or so.

Edward - Ive got a 9m and 12m Ozone Catalyst from 2015 with a bar for sale... see here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12898. And yes! Please ask around if you can get friendly with the neighbors there - that always helps us with good relations. Let us know what you find out - The most important piece of info is: 1. The access road - is it open / blocked and are there any "no trespassing" signs. And 2 - the part of Andrew's imagery where the launch is - who owns that piece of land specificially? If its the same person as in years past then we have no issues at all parking / launching there.

Would be great if we can ride Rush this Spring - even if just for March / April. Its also a good spot to learn with shallow non choppy water - that's where I learned before I was comfy enough to go out on Deer Creek. However, the fence now being there poses an issue on North winds for beginners I believe.
gregwojtkun

Next

Return to Main Message Board