Carpal Tunnel Hint

Daily Wind forecasts, questions about weather, gear, locations, etc.

Carpal Tunnel Hint

Postby kenonstott » Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:25 am

If you are suffering from reasonably moderate carpal tunnel syndrome, indicated by the middle 2 fingers going numb, try night splints. After having a doctor try to talk me into surgery, I decided to try the splints as a last ditch effort. I used them at the Gorge this summer for the first time and they made quite a difference. In previous years, each night as the Gorge trip progressed, my hands would go numb more and more, causing a lot of lost sleep. By the middle of the trip it began to affect my sailing. This year, using the splints each night, there were only several occasions where the hands went to sleep. The splints, a cheap and simple solution, made quite a difference. And, on the first weekend back from the trip, I can already play the piano, the true test of hand strength. I am not saying it is a permanent fix and I may need surgery in the future, but I am pleased with the results so far.
kenonstott

Postby layne.peterson » Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:32 pm

Ken, check this out, maybe it will help:
http://www.solutionsdept.com/palmharness/
layne.peterson

Postby Rick McClain » Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:59 pm

Hi,
In looking at the pictures, it seems to me that you would have to un-hook your hands from the boom, not just let go when needed. Am I wrong? Seems like you'd get slammed a lot using these things. Has anyone tried them personally?
Rick McClain
Rick McClain

Postby layne.peterson » Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:24 pm

Thats what makes windsurfing so much fun (a new challenge), not to mention, I'll bet you wouldn't even remember you had carpal tunnel issues going over the front of the board. Actually, if you google these there is some positive feedback from people who have tried them.
layne.peterson

Postby RickHeninger » Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:04 pm

I can't let this one die! ;))) Actually, in the late 80's when I'd go up to Deer Crick with my Bic Dufor Wing, there used to be a guy up there who had "duck" tape harness lines... Stick with me here... He had "duck" tape in two spots on each side of the boom. He'd stick his hands into the little loops that were equivalent to 6 inch harness lines! Just enough for each hand to fit into... Sometimes he'd get launched... It was a little difficult for him to pull his hands out of them here and there.>. I could've sworn one time that he did like a "giant" (one of those gymnastic flips they do over the high bar) over the boom once on a launch... But the "duck" tape foot straps later on kept him from getting launched so much in the hand straps... Duct tape around the board a few times held the duct tape foot straps in place... He saw my harness and turned his nose up to it!!!

I sure would've loved to have gotten him a pair of these babies Layne! Anybody else remember this guy? I don't see him around anymore!!!

Good to hear that those are helping with your Carpal Tunnel Ken...
RickHeninger
Site Admin

Return to Main Message Board