Utah Lake

Daily Wind forecasts, questions about weather, gear, locations, etc.

Utah Lake

Postby Gregory Hicks » Wed May 14, 2008 9:58 am

Where is the best place for a Rookie kiteboarder at Utah Lake, is it different based on the wind direction, and where is the best place to camp if staying all weekend? I printed out the map from the other poster (thanks for that) but have no idea which spot to head this weekend!
Gregory Hicks

Re: Utah Lake

Postby Jason Klein » Wed May 14, 2008 10:10 am

At this point, the wind is looking pretty weak for the weekend. that could change but not real promising at the moment. You'd be better off for today, tomorrow and friday afternoon and evenings this week. Rush lake is probably better for a beginner as it's only knee deep or so anywhere in the lake, has 1,000+ yds of shoreline (this is important since you'll probably be moving downwind quickly) and generally wide open around the shore. you can just stand up wherever you are, which will help you a lot with re-launching. UT lake isn't the most friendly place for a beginner, but Lincoln Beach is probably your best bet as it offers a few hundred yards of shoreline to work with in the sheltered area behind the jetty. most of the locations in that other thread are tough launches for kiters, and none would be good for a beginner. Lincoln Beach is at the south end of UT lake. hope that helps.
Jason Klein

Postby jason morton » Wed May 14, 2008 11:03 am

FYI-
If you are learning at Lincoln booties are a necessity because the rocks are sharp.
jason morton

Postby bordy » Wed May 14, 2008 11:07 am

jason morton wrote:FYI-
If you are learning at Lincoln booties are a necessity because the rocks are sharp.

And the locals are dull..............
bordy

Postby MikE mAy » Wed May 14, 2008 12:53 pm

duhhhhhh booties????

what's dem used fur?

why my feets hert so much when i ride'em kites der?

hope to see you yokels down there tonight!!!!
MikE mAy

Postby Gregory Hicks » Wed May 14, 2008 4:44 pm

Any idea about camping?
Gregory Hicks

Postby Kenny » Wed May 14, 2008 10:05 pm

Lincoln Beach has a real bathroom with sinks and toilets. I am not sure if they allow camping there or not. Rush is primitive camping - no facilities whatsoever.
Kenny
Site Admin

Return to Main Message Board