Burmester: Might cure what ails ya.

Daily Wind forecasts, questions about weather, gear, locations, etc.

Burmester: Might cure what ails ya.

Postby btjsfca » Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:52 pm

So, I haven't hit it yet this season, but it's currently the time of year to reach out and snag some 6 mile reaches on the butter soft goodness out at Burm. Please take note:

http://www.met.utah.edu/cgi-bin/droman/ ... gi?stn=URM

Check out the wind graph, maybe examine the 5 day history. Every day from noon to 6pm, you've got a shot at grabbing the goods. 10m Frenzy or bigger, buggy or MTB, and you can log some mileage.

Look for the wind graph to read 12 or higher with gusts to around 15 with a direction somewhere between N and NE. Try to stay away on days with south wind. Rideable, but very gusty.

I'm going to try and head out there this week, and I'd like to see if anyone's up to rally out there on Saturday afternoon if the wind forecast sucks as bad as it does now. I'm sure we can arrange some extra boards if there are enough stoked people. Very beginner friendy surface! I don't personally have access to a buggy, so maybe we can get someone to haul one out.

Anyone? Bueller?

-J
btjsfca

Re: Burmester: Might cure what ails ya.

Postby bordy » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:38 pm

Yep,

All kitesports all kite seasons.....

I got buggy and mountain board lets gooooooo.
bordy

Postby Rick McClain » Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:33 pm

Hey,
That's great information. We need more info like that on more sites. I just added your info to the "Burmeister" sailing site at the UWA "Local Sites" "UWA Places". I have zoomed into the map and placed the marker for "Burmeister" exactly where I believe the parking area for it is, but I'm not positive on that. Would one of you guys that sails there frequently go in and modify the location as needed to make sure it is right? This map is for everyone and can be improved by all of us putting in all the information we can. It will let everyone know exact directions to and conditions for every locale. Let's all contribute. Thanks to Josh Gubler for setting it up.
To modify, you need to sign in to Google, go to the upper right hand corner of the second frame on the left side of the map window and click on "Edit". This can be a great resource.
Thanks,
Rick McClain
Rick McClain

Postby mike loeser » Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:43 pm

Justin,
Rode out there again today. A bit choppier than previous years, but if you get out there further north it smooths out real nice. Must have been all the water we got this winter.
I would still like to get people out there for a day of riding. Maybe this Sat. would work. It has been good about every day this week. I have yet to be skunked out there. It is so nice to have a wind meter that reads every 15mins and is accurate. I try not to head out if it isn't blowing at least 12mph, but it is still rideable in less wind if you are hurting.
I now have three boards if anyone needs to use one, I'd be happy to lend them out.
Rick, that is the right spot. Take the Burmester Rd. until you get to a dirt road that leads to the building. Then head back east along the tracks. Parks after the trains end. Grab your gear and walk over the tracks to the flats. There are some old fence post in the ground that I use as kite stakes, but there is also a sand bag somewhere if you want to use that.

Mike L.
mike loeser

Postby btjsfca » Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:42 am

Rick McClain wrote:Hey,
That's great information. We need more info like that on more sites. I just added your info to the "Burmeister" sailing site at the UWA "Local Sites" "UWA Places". I have zoomed into the map and placed the marker for "Burmeister" exactly where I believe the parking area for it is, but I'm not positive on that. Would one of you guys that sails there frequently go in and modify the location as needed to make sure it is right? This map is for everyone and can be improved by all of us putting in all the information we can. It will let everyone know exact directions to and conditions for every locale. Let's all contribute. Thanks to Josh Gubler for setting it up.
To modify, you need to sign in to Google, go to the upper right hand corner of the second frame on the left side of the map window and click on "Edit". This can be a great resource.
Thanks,
Rick McClain

Awesome. I fixed up the info page so the wind meter link works, and I added info about parking. Access at this location is not a problem, but I don't want it to become a problem. There's only about 3 or 4 cars worth of parking at the end of the trains, and we shouldn't block the access road if we want to stay friendly with Union Pacific. If anyone shows on Saturday and there isn't a way to park off to the side, unload your gear and drive back west until there's space to park.

When Burm is good, it's hot out, so bring lots of water, sunscreen, and a hat.

If anyone's willing to hump out a shade tent, and maybe one of those big ol' gatorade containers with water for Saturday, please feel free! I'll be there by noon waiting for the wind. Saturday's forecast still looks like high pressure and sunny, so I think that means game on.

-J
btjsfca

Postby Rick McClain » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:27 pm

Wow!!! Now that's a great marker on the map. If only others would help us update all the other markers and add new ones, with the accuracy, needed wind conditions and parking info like this, we would really have a GREAT map here. How about it guys? How about you guys that know about some of these sites updating them. I know some of you are sailing or kiting places like Willard Bay, Farmington Bay, Desperation Flats, Utah Lake State Park, Pineview Reservoir, etc. The maps for Strawberry in the winter are pretty good, but could still use improvement and I know people sail the lake in the summer, too. Where do you park and access the water? It's a big lake. What wind conditions do you look for and which wind indicators do you use? With an improved map, we'll all find new places to sail, get skunked a lot less and save a lot of gas, too. I hope lots of others will help us out like BTJSFCA has. By the way, who is BTJSFCA? That's why we are trying to change people's ID's; so we'll know who we are talking to or about.
Thanks again. Great job on the map.
Rick McClain

Postby btjsfca » Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:10 pm

Rick McClain wrote:By the way, who is BTJSFCA?

Uh ... hee hee. Yeah, gotta fix that.

-Justin
btjsfca

Postby bordy » Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:39 am

Rick McClain wrote: By the way, who is BTJSFCA? That's why we are trying to change people's ID's; so we'll know who we are talking to or about.

Sure Thing Big Brother.....Its always the man making the rules. If BTJSFCA want to be BTJSFCA then so be it. Website that force you to use your name are aiding the terriost in their Gihad. Why must you know who is who? Next you'll want picture IDs when sighning up? It is the internet. Not the DMV...
bordy

Postby Rick McClain » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:21 am

Wow!!! I'm amazed at how easily I upset people!! All I did was ask who he was.
I'm sorry you're so paranoid, Bordy, but I, personally like to know to whom I am speaking. I might want to thank them personally for helping us out the next time I see them on a beach somewhere. That's why I ASKED Justin who he was.
I didn't TELL him he had to do anything and I wasn't going to arrest him, either.
Using real names also keeps people from saying things that they wouldn't and shouldn't, when they hide in anonymity. Using real names discourages flaming. The organization leaders have also asked that people use their real names in order to stop spamming that has been a problem on the forums. Real names, real people, real community.
By the way, your board of directors are the ones that make the rules and they are sailors and kiters just like you. Well, almost. The difference is that they VOLUNTEERED and were elected to hold office to help organize and run the community for all the others that either have already done their share, will eventually step up, or never will. Anyone that doesn't like the way the organization is run is encouraged to run for office. Personally, I may not agree with every decision that is made; but I certainly appreciate their time and efforts.
Rick McClain

Postby bordy » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:19 am

Easy Rick, Its called Joking.

WE have a great little community here. One that really has no flamers or trolls or anything like that... Its a little tiny forum about wind riding in UT hence the irony of having to worry about all the things you listed. Its not Myspace, or the KSL forum (again a joke). I am glad the folks that keep the site running do a great job, I am thankful.

Relax its the internet. I don't care what "your board of directors " do. I pay my dues and pimp the website as a great resource for wind riding. If I want to crack a joke about the overzeliousness of the running of a site I support via dues, then I think I can do so.

I'm the guy on the beach riding every day telling newbies to come here and become involved. Not the dude behind the computer making the "internet rules" The fact I can even type is amazing.

BB
bordy

Postby Rick McClain » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:40 am

Ok, Great.
But one of the bad things about the internet and written word in general is that people can't tell if you are joking or not; so you need to indicate that you are. That's what smilies are for. :-) Sorry I misunderstood. I didn't see the expression on your face as you said it. :lol:
Rick McClain

Postby mike loeser » Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:31 pm

Back to the subject...
Is anyone interested in going out this Sat to Burms? I'll try and be out there around noon. Planning anything around wind is basically pointless, but lets give it a try. I'll have a few boards on hand for anyone willing to give it a go. Bring your kites. We could always hold the Utah Summer games event out there.
Deer Creek may have wind Saturday, but you don't want to deal with the weekend boat traffic!
Burms was good again yesterday. Very consistent from 1 to sometimes 7.
Bonus, I got 20 SBC kiteboard mags sent to my house for some reason. You can get a free mag just for heading out!
BTSCjfgsdfkj(Justin) :lol: It would be nice if we could get Salty Peaks to let us demo some boards. Anyone have connections there?
Dirk Diggler (joke)
mike loeser

Postby mike loeser » Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:51 pm

And Burms looks good already for today. If you have the time try it out.
mike loeser

Postby btjsfca » Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:59 pm

I'd say if there's any place in Utah that is almost safe to plan for, it's Burms. I'm going to say with some confidence that there will be some riding this weekend. In case there's anyone that missed it, let me be super clear about it:

Burmester Rally
Saturday, June 28th
12-6pm

Bring water, sunscreen, kites (foil kites are a good idea), boards, buggies, landsailors, and barrels full of monkeys (but take out the monkeys, and fill said barrels with FUN instead). We'll start tapping into the barrels between noon and 1 when the wind comes up.

I've been on the horn to my mountainboard buddy, and he's going to line me up with the Salty Peaks guy to see about board loans. Apparently, if I had planned sooner, then I could have probably worked out something directly with MBS. Seems they make most of their money through kiters. Go figure.

If you're thinking of coming out and have no board, come anyway, we will find boards or (with any luck) a buggy for anyone who wants it. Anyone with an extra board? Please haul it along. Maybe haul along a shade tent, too.

Directions have been posted several times, but if you need them, do a search for Burmester or go to the UWA Places section under Local Sites.

Billy, you're coming, right? You said you'd haul that buggy along ... T'would be way sweet.

-J
btjsfca

Postby bordy » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:34 am

Rick McClain wrote:Ok, Great.
But one of the bad things about the internet and written word in general is that people can't tell if you are joking or not; so you need to indicate that you are. That's what smilies are for. :-) Sorry I misunderstood. I didn't see the expression on your face as you said it. :lol:

No worries, I really thought the gihad part would be a bit over the top and indicate the jest... I mean who throws gihad around in regular topics.... :lol:
bordy

Next

Return to Main Message Board