Please help us with our launch site maps!!!

Daily Wind forecasts, questions about weather, gear, locations, etc.

Please help us with our launch site maps!!!

Postby Rick McClain » Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:49 pm

Hi Everybody,
We have a great resource here on our site for all Windriders, but they could be soooo much better. I'm referring to the information on our "Local Sites" page and the links to the maps on that page. Right now they are pretty good, but with your help they could be much more informative.
You don't have to know everything about a site; just more than is already there. Anyone can add good information. For starters, try this one called UWA Places on our "Local Sites" link (Which is at the top of this page):

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8& ... 897461&z=6

Zoom into the map by Double Clicking on it or using the slider at the top left and click on the top marker at the south end of the Great Salt Lake, Burmester. I think this is the best marker we have in terms of accuracy and information. This is the precision and quality of information we need for all the sites.

Now click on the marker for one of your favorite locations. Do you know more about the preferred weather conditions and wind indicators than is already there? Zoom way into the map. Is the marker in the precise place that you would park to access the site? Some of them are in the middle of a lake. That doesn't help someone new to the site drive to it. Use the Satellite or Terrain Maps if it helps. Do you know or can you find a URL for the best wind indicator?
If you have better or more correct or precise information please edit it by signing in to Google (upper right hand corner of the page)(free and easy), then going to the left side of the page to the Grey box marked "Edit". Click on that and add your information. To Move a marker, FIRST zoom way in for precision using the "Satellite" map link at the top right of the map, then Drag it to the EXACT place to either launch or park to access the site.
Now check out all the other sailing, kiting or landboarding sites you know about and add information to them, too. Make sure you tell whether the information is for Sailing or Kiting on Water, Snow, Ice, or Land for each site.
What we have is good, but we can make it GREAT !!! Just imaging never having to guess how to drive to a site or what to expect when you get there.
Thanks for your help,
Rick McClain
Rick McClain

Re: Please help us with our launch site maps!!!

Postby Rick McClain » Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:07 am

Hey,
I see "Mike" stepped up to the plate and added some great information to the "Lincoln Beach" marker. Thanks Mike! That's just the kind of information we need for all the sites on the map. Now let's get some of the other markers updated. Come on guys, you all have some information to share.
Rick McClain

Postby Rick McClain » Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:27 pm

Hey,
A BIG THANK YOU to Marty Lowe, Hardbooter (whoever that is), Carl Christensen, Jim Southwick and others for taking the time to add some great information to the map and adding some new launch sites. The maps just get better all the time. There's still a lot more information needed, however, so if you can add expected or desired weather information, weather site links, safety issues, etc. to any of the sites, please do. This can really come together quickly if everyone pitches in. Check out every marker you know anything about and add your 2 cents.
Thanks, Rick McClain
Rick McClain

Postby Marty Lowe » Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:21 pm

I notice if you already have a google login, it uses that login name.
hardbooter is Billy.
http://www.hardbooter.com/Default.asp?Redirected=Y

Great palce to get longboards.

-Marty 8)
Marty Lowe

Postby Rick McClain » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:43 am

Marty,
Thanks soooo much for taking the time to enter so much information on the map for so many launch sites. I notice that the entry for Farmington Bay says it is temporarily closed to kiteing. Does that apply to sailboards, too. Is it because the water is too shallow, or for some other reason.

Again, many thanks.
Rick McClain
Rick McClain

Postby Marty Lowe » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:53 am

There is a post somewhere here.
Couple guys kiting were told not to come back,
that is all I remember.

-Marty 8)
Marty Lowe

Postby Rick McClain » Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:56 pm

Ok. I looked that up an called the Division of Wildlife Resources. Summer wild bird nesting is the problem. I put the information on the map marker for Farmington Bay. How deep is the water out there, not that it matters?
Rick McClain

Postby Kenny » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:54 pm

Rick,

I added a few more locations to the map.

Farmington bay is really shallow, probably too shallow to poleboard. It was a good kiting location while it lasted.

How do you access the Strawberry Reservior snowkite locations?

This is going to be a great resource!

Kenny
Kenny
Site Admin

Postby Rick McClain » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:32 pm

Wow !!! Now this is going to be a great map. Thanks, Kenny, for adding the new sites and Fantastic information. Especially on the salt ponds. That's the kind of detail we need.
That makes almost 50 sites within about 3 hrs. drive of SLC. So why can't I find any wind? Seriously, this map is growing into something magnificent. Now if we can only get others to add their knowledge to it, too. There are still a lot of the sites that need more information.
Kenny, sorry, but I think you were looking for the Strawberry Detail map with your eyelids down. There is a link to them at "Local Sites" at the top of most of our pages, then under the Local Sites header: Google Maps: Strawberry Res. Detail; or since you were already on the UWA Places Map, on the left side of the page under "UWA Places" the next link below is "Strawberry Res. Detail."
Thanks, again. You've added a huge amount of valuable info.
Rick McClain
Rick McClain

Postby Kenny » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Rick,

I found the Strawberry Snowkiting area and added some descriptions. We need to add some more areas, but I will let someone else who is more familiar with the terrain draw the outlines for Coop, the ladders, etc.

This is a fun tool. I will try to add more info. as I think of it.

Kenny
Kenny
Site Admin

Return to Main Message Board