Fontanelle Resevoir

Daily Wind forecasts, questions about weather, gear, locations, etc.

Fontanelle Resevoir

Postby Scott Later » Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:11 am

Does anyone know anything about Fontanelle Res. It is located just north of Kemmerer on Route 189. Drove past it last weekend on my way up to the Wind Rivers (about 2.5 hours to the res from salt lake) Looks like it is pretty shallow and would be pretty decent if you got anything out of the west. Super long stretches and i can image it would be pretty clean and chop-free under the right conditions.
Scott Later

Re: Fontanelle Resevoir

Postby DimitriMilovich » Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:30 pm

Emmanuel posted just a week or so ago. I've also sailed there a half dozen times, up to 4.5. Wind comes out of the arm you crossed (from the west) sometimes and it can rock. Don't get washed up against the rocks on the east side -- no beaches. Usual Wyoming scene -- wind linked to jet stream over Wyoming, or local fronts. Horsefly hatch in July, which makes you alert when camping there, but I think that's past. Used to camp on the beach on the N side of that little bay, not the campground. Seemed like better exposure.
Dimitri
DimitriMilovich

Postby Rick McClain » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:46 pm

Hey Dimitri,
Would you mind taking the time to put a marker at the launch site at Fontenelle on the UWA Places map for us, along with that information? Zoom way in on the Satellite map and you'll be able to see exactly where you sailed from.
Thanks,
Rick McClain
Rick McClain

Postby scottgoslin » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:49 pm

I would agree with dimitri with where to sail, the north bay across from the offical campground, boat launch. wind is out of the n nw, and it is protected if something goes wrong. the rest of res. closer as you head toward the dam, is big and steep sided , very hard to find a spot to get out of the water if things get big.
I will try to up load some pics but the size is requirement is hard to get with a panaramoa view.
enjoy scott g.
scottgoslin

Postby Scott Later » Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:49 am

thanks for the info--always looking for new places to play
Scott Later

Postby Rick McClain » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:14 am

Scott, and everyone else for that matter, if you want to find new places to sail from; check out our maps on the "Local Sites" link at the top of this page. Just click on the "UWA Places" link on that page...and contribute information about new or existing sites if you can, too.
Rick McClain

Return to Main Message Board