Snowkiting gear?

Daily Wind forecasts, questions about weather, gear, locations, etc.

Snowkiting gear?

Postby Erik Holmgren » Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:19 am

Hey all, I'm relatively new to the sport. My dad has been kiting for a while, and just managed to get me into the sport. I'm an instructor up at Alta and would like to crossover into snowkiting.

What brands/models, and types/sizes of kites do you guys reccomend for back-country kiting? Or at the spot near the Home-Depot in Park City? I'm 6'1, 190, and will probably be riding either Fischer Watea's(101 underfoot, 192cm) or Head Supermojo's(105 underfoot, 191cm)
Erik Holmgren

Re: Snowkiting gear?

Postby Mark Johnson » Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:32 pm

Foils are nice if you plan on going far from the car. This is because you do not need a pump should you spring a leak. The older Inflatables can have problems with the nipples if it is very cold out. They have worked this problem out on the newer kites. The inflatables are nice because when it warms up you can use them on the water also. Their has been some discussion on using foils vs inflatables for gliding and safety. More attchment points on the foils vs only 4 on an inflatable. Ozone and Best both have local reps so it is easy to get good service on these products.(And they Rock!) What does your dad fly? I would suggest going to one of the local events and watch learn ask questions and possibly demo before you buy.
Mark Johnson

Postby Erik Holmgren » Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:36 pm

Thanks for the info, I hadn't even thought about the added space of the pump. Are the events posted elsewhere in the forum?

Right now my dad's riding a 17m Cabrinha Contra, a 15m RRD type 6, and a 12m RRD type z- both the RRD kites have 5th line rigs attatched.

We also have an older 8m F-one Shadow ram air kite, 3 line sitting around somewhere.

Are C-kites still used on snow, or have people moved to the newer bow shapes for the most part?

What do people normally ride in the Wasatch in deeper snow, size wise? Sorry guys, know I'm asking a million questions that have probably already been asked and answered-just seems like there are so many varying opinions on what is the best way to go in the snow.
Erik Holmgren

Postby Mark Johnson » Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:01 am

Not many C kites on the snow. They are hard to relaunch. Most have gone with bow or foils. As fo size its hard to say not knowing your kite skills There is no such thing as a one kite quiver. As for the optimum kite for most days here in Utah I fly my 11m foil most of the time. Or my 13m inflateable. Im around 160lbs. It would also be nice to have a high wind 7 or 9m and a 15m for lighter wind would be nice, but thats just me. Its good to start a bit under powered till ya get use to it as to not get injured before you have chance to learn the sport. Also a lesson from a pro could get you up and riding proper a lot quicker.
Mark Johnson

Postby tjacques » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:41 am

mark nice job explaining the kites. lesson is good to start with.
tjacques

Postby bordy » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:20 am

Kiteutah.com
bordy

Postby Erik Holmgren » Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:34 pm

Thanks again for the info there. I did a full day lesson with XL kites down in Ft. walton beach this past week, and I've been flying my dad's power kites since he started picking up the sport back around 01 or 02.. who would you reccomend for a snowkite specific lesson?
Erik Holmgren

Postby Jacob Buzianis » Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:36 pm

http://www.utahkiteaddiction.com/

They are at Powder Mt. Ski Resort
Jacob Buzianis

Postby bordy » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:35 am

I would reccomend myself, You can check out my bio at kiteutah.com and schudle all the lessons or review clinics you may need. We also use both foil and or SLE kite we also teach year round so our instructors (me) are up to speed!

Some of the local schools only work in the winter and at only one spot, (like powder Mtn for example) and use only SLE's we teach all over the state and have permits to teach at lots of places that don't charge you to use their snow like Pow Mtn. does.

I'm just a poor pro who gives lessons to afford to kite. I work for Ozone and Kiteutah.com
bordy

Postby spencer7 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:44 pm

Erik, quick question about alta???

Ive been thinking about packing my kite up to the top of supreme to do some kiting on the other side of the rope.

Can you think of any reason why I shouldnt try and do this... llegality etc.

I wanted to do it last year but there were just so many powder days as already that I never bothered,
plus I was worried that I could potentially get into trouble?
spencer7

Postby Constance Mallula » Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:08 am

Spencer7

I think you should check into that idea first. :))

As the guys are always saying... we don't want to not be invited to places.

They don't even allow snowboards,... probly flip on a kite.

Just my opinion :88=

Constance
Constance Mallula

Postby spencer7 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:21 am

They don't even allow snowboards,... probly flip on a kite.

no worries either way Ill be sure to check first and post once I see how it goes.
I would only be using the lift to access the area and after that you are no longer in the resort...

...seeing as how there is no snow anytime soon though, it could be a few months
spencer7

Postby Erik Holmgren » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:09 am

Bordy- sent you a message.

Spencer- I can't think of a reason why kiting would not be allowed. I was planning on doing the same thing once i've learned enough to be able to do it safely. Most of the folks at Alta are annoyed with snowmobilers, mostly because they don't like the noise and pollution... but they are still allowed the last I checked. You might check with the Alta Sheriff's department for local rules and such, I will get in touch with Alta and see if they have a problem with you riding the back-country off of their lifts and get back to you when I can get a hold of them.

*EDIT-Spencer, thinking about reasons you would not want to- The only reason I have at the moment not to would be the abscence of any avalanche control work on that side of the mountain. You would definately want to ride with someone, and carry an avy beacon, probe, and shovel bare minimum. I don't know how much avalanche training you've had- if you have not taken any of the Avy safety courses riding there could end pretty badly.
Erik Holmgren

Postby spencer7 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:40 pm

yea I quite a bit of backcountry skiing off of supreme, and Ive done the classes. I think its a great area, good wind and some very mellow ridges, however certainly not as beginner friendly as skyline. once winter comes let me know when you want to do it and we could help each other out a bit, so we are atleast not alone.
spencer7

Postby Constance Mallula » Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:23 am

I was just surprised to hear alta...

Hope it works out. :))

All this snow talk is very exciting tho... :lol:

Think Snow
Constance Mallula

Next

Return to Main Message Board