Maui Trip just completed

Post your latest session. Provide the location, date, equipment used, and most importantly tells us about your fun. That fun is helpful to people who are thinking about where to go the next time.
Forum rules
Please at least list in the subject line "Date, Location, sail/kite size, board size"
Example:
04/15 Ut Lake SSB, 16M kite, 136
08/23 Sulphur Crick, 3.7M/78L

Maui Trip just completed

Postby Lynn Stevens » Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:39 pm

Sharon and I just got back from Maui. Haven't been able to windsurf for several years, but my balance is getting better, so we just had to find a place and try.
Of course, the wind had shut down for several days because of all the rain Hawaii was getting. We arrived late Sunday night, so we took it easy monday. Went Snorkeling and whale watching on Tuesday, and were surrounded by 3 pods of whales. They were jumping all around the boat. We stayed at the Maui Sunset in Kihei, and were also able to watch the whales from our deck. One thing we learned, is a bad day in Maui, is a fantastic day anywhere else. We did go up to the Haleakala Creater (10,023 feet) no snow. 54 Degrees Temp, back down at the bottom, it was a cooled 79 Degrees, so we were forced to wear our shorts again.
Friday and Saterday we spent walking the beaches at kanaha Beach Park and Windsurfing. Winds were light, because of all the rain, but the winds were on shore or side on shore. If you get there, you need to eat a MaMa's fish house, and at Paia Fish Market.

The living is slow, and relaxed. A real treat from the mainland. I find myself still driving and walking slow. Sharon says I have island fever. :mrgreen: Can't wait to go back. Now thinking of a trip to aruba or Margarita. Anyone have experiance there??/ let us know

We are looking forward to some local windsurfing this year as well. :-P See you all on the water.
Lynn
Lynn Stevens

Re: Maui Trip just completed

Postby Craig Goudie » Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:20 pm

Lynn, buddy, it's good to "hear" from you again, especially to "hear" you're sailing. Most of Tribe Surfrat can tell you about Margarita, in fact,
Sarah, Linda, Fred and Lana, will be down there in about a week.

Last time I was there with Tom Hughes (2002) Vela had a sweet set up,
with more gear than anybody could ride. The weather is shorts and lycra only, and the water is prolly 85 degrees. The season is typically Feb- May, but It's windy year round, it's just windier during the winter. Not
much wave action, but some good swells about 2 miles out. It's typically
a 5.0 noon to 5 thang, with the beach front bars hitting happy hour about 5.
I know a great condo rental there if you want the contact. Food and
drink are pretty darned cheap, and Tom and I walked from our condo
about half a block to the Vela center which is about 30 Ft from the water down a fine white sand beach shaded by palm trees. The French and German ladies tend to be sunny side up, which can be a distraction
during your beach side jibe, but it's a distraction I can live with.

No stress, sleep, eat, sail, eat, sail, drink, sail, drink more ................
It's not too bad.

You want real details, like how to get there and such, just ask.

-Craig

lynnst wrote:Sharon and I just got back from Maui. Haven't been able to windsurf for several years, but my balance is getting better, so we just had to find a place and try.
Of course, the wind had shut down for several days because of all the rain Hawaii was getting. We arrived late Sunday night, so we took it easy monday. Went Snorkeling and whale watching on Tuesday, and were surrounded by 3 pods of whales. They were jumping all around the boat. We stayed at the Maui Sunset in Kihei, and were also able to watch the whales from our deck. One thing we learned, is a bad day in Maui, is a fantastic day anywhere else. We did go up to the Haleakala Creater (10,023 feet) no snow. 54 Degrees Temp, back down at the bottom, it was a cooled 79 Degrees, so we were forced to wear our shorts again.
Friday and Saterday we spent walking the beaches at kanaha Beach Park and Windsurfing. Winds were light, because of all the rain, but the winds were on shore or side on shore. If you get there, you need to eat a MaMa's fish house, and at Paia Fish Market.

The living is slow, and relaxed. A real treat from the mainland. I find myself still driving and walking slow. Sharon says I have island fever. :mrgreen: Can't wait to go back. Now thinking of a trip to aruba or Margarita. Anyone have experiance there??/ let us know

We are looking forward to some local windsurfing this year as well. :-P See you all on the water.
Lynn
Craig Goudie
Sailing the Gorge on my:
8'4" OO Fat Boy, 7'9" OO Slasher, 7'4" Goya SurfWave
with Northwave Sails
Craig Goudie
Site Admin

Return to Wind Log