Where to Ride - Wednesday 1/7/09

Moderators: Josh Shirley, Craig Goudie, RickHeninger

Forum rules
-Each forecaster has their own topic. Forecasters reply to their own posts. This forum is READ ONLY. You can not reply in this forum.
-We've set this up so you can subscribe to a forecast. Following these guidelines will guarantee that people recieve the forecasts they want.
Thanks again to Craig since before 99' and Kenny since 08' for the forecasts.
Disclaimer
-Forecasts are for entertainment purposes only. (Hopefully we are entertaining enough to provide an occasional chuckle.) All windriders are free to choose their locations and conditions, and are responsible for the risks thereof.

Where to Ride - Wednesday 1/7/09

Postby Kenny » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:36 pm

Looks like it is going to be a nice afternoon at Strawberry tomorrow. The storm is forecasted to clear in the late morning which should give way to partly cloudy skies, fresh snow and wind in the mid to upper teens. Beginners - your best bet is Chicken Creek West. The wind is more solid there than Strawberry River. It is nice flat and open. The lake is frozen and snow covered, but be careful as there may still be thin spots, especially near shore.

Skyline will have stronger clearing winds in the mid 20's with much stronger gusts under partly cloudy skies and blown powder conditions

PowMow will have good west winds in the upper teens with snow squalls. Expect deep powder (if it hasn't all blown away) up to 18".

Evanston will have good west wind in the 20 - 25 mph range.

Not much wind is expected at the lower elevations. You might get lucky in PC.

Thursday is looking like the classic west wind setup at both Skyline and PowMow. Wind will be even stronger at Evanston.

How about a movie review today? I saw Traitor on DVD with Don Cheadle (Hotel Rwanda, Crash) and Guy Pearce (Memento). It is a well-paced thriller about a Muslim Terrorist plot. I thought it was well-executed and the performance by Cheadle was outstanding (I think he is one of the best actors in the business). Not your every day thriller as some of the dialogue was genuinely thought-provocking. One of the more satisfying films I have seen recently. I didn't think 2008 was a great movie year.
Kenny
Site Admin

Re: Where to Ride - Wednesday 1/7/09

Postby kenclewis » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:38 am

Kenny,

I love your forecasts and additional recomendations and your editorials/movie reviews at the bottom. Keep up the great work!

Ken L
kenclewis

Re: Where to Ride - Wednesday 1/7/09

Postby Kenny » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:49 am

Ken, thanks for your positive comments.

I took another look at today's forecast. The NOAA point forecast doesn't look promising for Strawberry, but the Daniel's Summit meter is showing NW wind which is the best indicator I have found. I think it is blowing there right now. I am sticking with my original forecast. The other good news is that it looks like Friday afternoon may be really good at Strawberry. Keep your fingers crossed!

I have always wanted to be a restaurant critic. My wife calls me a food snob. I don't go for most chain restaurants, nor do I like to spend a lot of money on the fine linen sort of places. I like small, ethnic restaurants. Here is my pick for today. The Tibet House on 13 south, just east of State Street. It is located on the north side of the road in a strip mall. They serve an excellent buffet lunch. The food is kind of a cross between asian and Indian cooking. The food is basically the same everyday, so here is a quick list of the food. A cabbage salad, spicy potatos, steamed vegetables, 2 types of dumplings - one with beef and the other with vegetables, curried chicken, stir-fried rice and stir-fried noodles. They also serve a soup of the day and fruit for dessert. I have eaten there many times and I have found the food to be consistently delicious. The cost is $8 for all you care to eat. It is also a fun place to go people watching as well. There is a mental health office next door and locals (i.e. people sporting dread locks, piercings, interesting tattoos) that sympathize with the people of Tibet that are currently under Chinese rule (I don't see how eating Tibet food really helps people in Tibet, but the food is good so if it makes you feel better about the world at the same time that you are tucking into some good food, that is all the better). I give it 3 stars out of 4.
Kenny
Site Admin

Return to Forecasts - Where to Ride