Where to ride 1/18

Moderators: Josh Shirley, Craig Goudie, RickHeninger

Forum rules
-Each forecaster has their own topic. Forecasters reply to their own posts. This forum is READ ONLY. You can not reply in this forum.
-We've set this up so you can subscribe to a forecast. Following these guidelines will guarantee that people recieve the forecasts they want.
Thanks again to Craig since before 99' and Kenny since 08' for the forecasts.
Disclaimer
-Forecasts are for entertainment purposes only. (Hopefully we are entertaining enough to provide an occasional chuckle.) All windriders are free to choose their locations and conditions, and are responsible for the risks thereof.

Where to ride 1/18

Postby Kenny » Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:27 am

High pressure is firmly in place again today, so that means lots of sunshine and little or no wind.

Bet bet Pineview in the morning near the dam. The setup looks excellent, but go early as it is usually an AM deal only. This spot looks like the only reliable location for wind the next few days.

Next best bets - PM is showing NW wind this am in the low teens, it is the wrong direction for good riding and I am not sure if it will persist.

Strawberry and Skyline look better for snowmobiliing, cross-country skiing or partying (which is what a large group of kiters did yesterday at the Ozone Demo, thanks Heather for the good food!)

Tomorrow - looks like a little east wind in the forecast. Might get lucky at Strawberry or Skyline, but currently looks too light for any rides. Pineview looks like the best location.

A great place to go after a day in the mountains is Lonestar Taqueria located on 2265 Fort Union Drive (just continue west on the same road when you drive down Big Cottonwood Canyon. Lonestar is about a mile down and is on the north side of the road). This place is well known for their excellent fish tacos. I have tried everything on the menu and I can tell you that it is all good. I really like the carne asada and shrimp tacos. The nachos are excellent with big crunchy chips and tons of toppings, but you will need a fork to eat them and watch out for the roasted jalapenos on top, they can be fiery. The burritos are huge, unless you are starving, only order a half. The place is always busy on weekends, so finding a table can be a challenge. It is a good place to go when you feel like some fresh, authentic Mexican food.
Kenny
Site Admin

Re: Where to ride 1/18

Postby Kenny » Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:10 am

Another note on Pineview. The snow coverage is spotty, so skis are going to be nicer than a board. Sunrise is at 7:49 AM tomorrow and twilight begins at 7:19AM. I am thinking of going early tomorrow morning. I will setup by headlamp, enjoy the sunrise and head off to work.

Newbies, an ice screw is really handy for securing your kite. Watch out for ice fisherman holes and thin ice near the shore.
Kenny
Site Admin

Return to Forecasts - Where to Ride