Where to ride 1/20

Moderators: Josh Shirley, Craig Goudie, RickHeninger

Forum rules
-Each forecaster has their own topic. Forecasters reply to their own posts. This forum is READ ONLY. You can not reply in this forum.
-We've set this up so you can subscribe to a forecast. Following these guidelines will guarantee that people recieve the forecasts they want.
Thanks again to Craig since before 99' and Kenny since 08' for the forecasts.
Disclaimer
-Forecasts are for entertainment purposes only. (Hopefully we are entertaining enough to provide an occasional chuckle.) All windriders are free to choose their locations and conditions, and are responsible for the risks thereof.

Where to ride 1/20

Postby Kenny » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:30 pm

Looks like Skyline blew hard all day (according to the meter). The setup for tomorrow is for east wind, so Skyline looks like the best bet. Surface may be blown powder in some places as you can ride unridden terrain.

Pineview should have the light, steady morning thermal again. Remember to take skis as it is bullet-proof snow bonded to ice.

Strawberry may give up some east rides in the morning. Expect low to mid teens in the morning and sub-10 in the afternoon. I have never flown a kite on a east wind at Strawberry. Billy tells me Soldier Creek is good if it is not blowing elsewhere. However, I scoped out SC on Saturday and the coverage is less there than Coop and the River. So if there is enough wind to ride earlier, go no farther, setup and ride. Surface is packed and packed powder depending how far away from the parking lot you ride.

PM does not look good for wind tomorrow.

Wednesday things start to change. I am not going to try to make a stab at it today.

Vietnamese Pho (pronounced "fu") is a soup typically made with a fragrant beef broth seasoned with star anise, nutmeg, and cinnamon filled with thin rice vermicelli noodles, thin-sliced beef, and onions. The soup is served with a side garnish of fresh bean sprouts, fresh basil, and sometimes cilantro, lime, and/or jalapenos. It is a delicious soup on a cold winter day. There are actually a dozen or so Vietnamese restaurants that serve Pho, but not all Pho is equal. Just like ordering a hamburger, there are okay hamburgers and there are great hamburgers. Pho Bien Hoa and Pho Cali - both located in West Valley are the 2 best that I have tried. I have tried about a half dozen places. The first time you order Pho, go for the rare beef, it is the most tender and cooks in the hot soup. Some of the other types of meat (meatballs, tripe, tendon, tongue) are more for those who have aquired a taste. Pho Bien Hoa is located on Redwood Road in a strip mall. It has garish decorations, lots of plastic flowers, but the food is good and the service is quick. Pho Cali is a smaller place and more of a dive, but the service is excellent and the Pho is great.
Kenny
Site Admin

Return to Forecasts - Where to Ride