Where to Ride 2/7 - Saturday - Updated

Moderators: Josh Shirley, Craig Goudie, RickHeninger

Forum rules
-Each forecaster has their own topic. Forecasters reply to their own posts. This forum is READ ONLY. You can not reply in this forum.
-We've set this up so you can subscribe to a forecast. Following these guidelines will guarantee that people recieve the forecasts they want.
Thanks again to Craig since before 99' and Kenny since 08' for the forecasts.
Disclaimer
-Forecasts are for entertainment purposes only. (Hopefully we are entertaining enough to provide an occasional chuckle.) All windriders are free to choose their locations and conditions, and are responsible for the risks thereof.

Where to Ride 2/7 - Saturday - Updated

Postby Kenny » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:48 pm

Forecast below is still on track. Checked the observations and wind meters this AM. All three mountain locations have clear skies. Wind is blowing strong already at PowMow in the low 20's. Skyline has good wind as well in the low-teens at the meter which means mid to upper-teens on the hill. Strawberry River is only reading 4 mph, but I think the wind is blocked at that location. Please do me a favor and give a detailed post if you ride at Strawberry or PowMow. Let me know where you were able to ride and observed good wind. SE is not the typical direction around here, so I would like some feedback on those locations. I am going to Skyline, hoping for an epic day.

Looks like East and southeast winds tomorrow and fresh powder snow. There is snow in the forecast, so I recommend checking the webcams to make sure that the area you wish to ride is not socked in.

Skyline is my first choice for SE wind because it opens up powder riding on the normally lee side of the hill. Looks like wind in the low to mid-teens, possibly stronger.

Strawberry is also has East wind in the forecast. I have not rode that direction at Strawberry, so I can't tell you the best places to ride on that direction. Wind looks like it will be mid-teens.

PowMow - I have ridden SE winds at this location one time. I found the best riding was right at the launch area. It is not a big area, so I am not sure how it will work for the demo tomorrow. However, with a snowcat, you could go to the ridge and do fine over there. I am sure Jake has it all figured out.

SE winds are in the forecast again on Sunday. SE winds are a bit fickle. They can blow much harder than forecast or not blow at all. I recommend checking the mesonet before heading out.
Kenny
Site Admin

Return to Forecasts - Where to Ride