Late in the Afternoon

Let people know when you're headed out.
Forum rules
Please at least list in the subject line "Date, Location, Time"
Example:
04/10/2010 Rush Lake ~5PM It's gonna blow 3.7!

Late in the Afternoon

Postby Weston Youd » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:29 am

I'm a sad working stiff and can't get away until after 4:30. It's tough working for the man. So, is there even a chance that there will still be wind in the afternoon at DC or ULLB?
Oh, and while I've been out a few times this year, I have always been out with my buddy Kyrk. Today will be my first time solo... Does anyone have advice for this first time loner? Launching, Landing, etc? I don't want to be in anyone's way, but don't think I want to be in an area where I'm the only one out there either.

thanks,
"Stoney"
Weston Youd

Re: Late in the Afternoon

Postby Jason Klein » Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:05 pm

not looking too promising for late afternoon today. you only get the evening wind at ULLB when it is a north. DC pretty much fizzles by 4:00 unless there is a strong s-sw flow, which we don't have today. Should be a little more promising tomorrow. be very careful if kiting completely alone. Not highly recommended, but you wouldn't be the first person to do it. The good news is, if there's wind, there will be people there.
Jason Klein

Re: Late in the Afternoon

Postby David Kyle » Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:13 pm

Self lauch/land getting easier for me. Try to get around some seasoned guys to get the lowdown first hand. Drift lauch or teather launch can be done safely but there seems to be alot of room for error and alot of veriables that could turn your self launch/land into a trainwreck.I know how frustrating it can be to have to kite around a work schedual and have been fortunate to get some first hand teaching from Billy, Jake and some of the other crew. Try to get some "on the spot teaching" on the subject befor you give it a whirl. I think, self land depends on your kite so get educated. Hope to see you out there tomorrow if permitted.
David Kyle

Return to It's Blowing I'm Going