Rookie Question about Kiteboard fins and board shape

For beginners of kiting or windsurfing, or people new to the area to introduce themselves and ask questions.
Forum rules
Welcome to the Utah Windrider's Association
-This forum is for people new to the area or just getting into Windsurfing, Snowkiting, or Water Kiting. Please reference which sport(s) in your subject heading.
-Please introduce yourself and tell a bit about how you got into the sport.
-Hopefully people will be able to answer any questions that you might have. Please see the "Learn to Windsurf" or "Learn to Kite" links above.
-It is UWA website policy to register using your full name. First name initial/full last name is acceptable. Thanks for your cooperation.
-We were all beginners at one time, hopefully we'll all remember that in this forum.

Rookie Question about Kiteboard fins and board shape

Postby KyrkWright » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:19 pm

I am new to kiting within the last 16 months or so. Finally able to get good rides in both direction and am getting better at staying upwind depending on the day it seems. I have a question about fins and fin sizes and board shapes. I have been able to ride an SS Glide that has those tiny little fins on it and an LF Proof 151. Here are my questions as a result of this:

- Why the tiny fins? What is the advantage of this. The trouble I have had with figuring out the feel to the glide has been that getting my edge has been harder for me than my rides with something like my LF Proof that has 1.5" fins on it. I am sure that it is not the fins alone making a difference in my ability to edge. But my logic tells me that bigger fins would help eliminate the "slippery" feeling I have with the glide. I know that most guys that have ridden the glide love it so is my difficulty learning to ride that board just my inexperience? Or would different fin size make a big difference in this case?

- Second question is board shape or amount of rocker in the board. I seem to torpedo the glide a lot putting the front edge into the water and getting to crash more than I would like. I imagine this is also a result of inexperience, but what is the advantage to the really flat shape of these light wind boards?

Thanks for any opinions. I am soaking this all in and having a blast. If I only had more sick days to call in when the wind blows!

Kyrk
KyrkWright

Re: Rookie Question about Kiteboard fins and board shape

Postby Marty Lowe » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:50 pm

KyrkWright wrote:- Why the tiny fins? What is the advantage of this. But my logic tells me that bigger fins would help eliminate the "slippery" feeling I have with the glide. Or would different fin size make a big difference in this case?

- Second question is board shape or amount of rocker in the board. I seem to torpedo the glide a lot putting the front edge into the water and getting to crash more than I would like. I imagine this is also a result of inexperience, but what is the advantage to the really flat shape of these light wind boards?

Kyrk

Kyrk,
I have had the opportunity to sit at Rufus withthe designer of the Glide, John Doyle.
I asked him some of the same questions.

I can answer two questions with one responce.

The fin size and the flat rocker, (and width) are there for exactily the reason you don't like it.
"""slippery"""
It is the key to what makes the glide so useful in light wind. (per Doyle)
The glide isn't designed for much more than light wind, and flat water. (per Doyle)
A board with more rocker helps smooth out chop, and keep the nose from "torpedo-ing"

Nothing wrong with your ability here,
Just that after more board experience,
you will be able to make the glide work better in conditions it is not designed for.

You can put bigger fins on the board, it will just cause more drag,
and deduct a little off the low end of the board (per Doyle)

Does that answer your questions?

If you like the Idea of the Glide, but want a little more range,
and are willing to give up just a little on the bottom end,
Doyle suggests the Misfit 146.
There are a few of these boards around,
also a great Utah lightwind board.

-Marty 8)
Marty Lowe

Postby KyrkWright » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:09 pm

Marty,

Thanks for the info. That does make sense and answers my questions about the glide. Thank you! I will keep practicing and make sure the conditions are right for it when I choose to use it.

Kyrk
KyrkWright

Postby Kenny » Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:18 am

Marty,

Excellent response.

I found that by adjusting how I fly the kite, I can ride the glide in chop. I depower the kite a bit more and use the long edge of the Glide to motor upwind.

I like the slippery feel of the glide. I don't think I will buy another board with fins that are more than 1.5" deep, but that is personal preference.

Kenny
Kenny
Site Admin

Postby KyrkWright » Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:21 pm

Marty / Kenny,

So last night I got the chance to ride the glide in just what you said it is designed for, flat water and light wind. I had a much better time on it last night than the last time I tried. Knowing what to expect helped, but I don't think I was ever overpowered last night and actually really enjoyed "zipping" upwind (by my standards anyway) with much less effort than I am used to.

Thanks for the tips.

Kyrk
KyrkWright

Return to Newcomers and Transplants Forum