pairing a kite with a bar

For beginners of kiting or windsurfing, or people new to the area to introduce themselves and ask questions.
Forum rules
Welcome to the Utah Windrider's Association
-This forum is for people new to the area or just getting into Windsurfing, Snowkiting, or Water Kiting. Please reference which sport(s) in your subject heading.
-Please introduce yourself and tell a bit about how you got into the sport.
-Hopefully people will be able to answer any questions that you might have. Please see the "Learn to Windsurf" or "Learn to Kite" links above.
-It is UWA website policy to register using your full name. First name initial/full last name is acceptable. Thanks for your cooperation.
-We were all beginners at one time, hopefully we'll all remember that in this forum.

pairing a kite with a bar

Postby Weston Youd » Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:05 pm

In talking with others on this forum and at the normal launch sites, I determined that an 07 13M bularoo would be a good kite for me to start a quiver and will get me out in most days here in UT. Now that I have one, I also picked up a 07 55cm best bar and lines. Now the question is...

Is there a need to tune the bar and lines to the kite and how would one go about doing so?

The reason for the question is that I've been having control issues with the bularoo. At first I thought it was, and rightfully so, an inflation issue. But I've made sure I'm fully pumped and it still just doesn't seem to fly as well as the other kites I've been using lately. (I've borrowed an 11M, 9M and a 7M on some big wind days at SSB).

I've only had it out 3 or 4 times and admittedly the wind wasn't perfect and my skills are definately that of a newb., but It just doesn't seem to act the same as the other kites I've flown during the same period.

All guidance is welcome.
Weston Youd

Re: pairing a kite with a bar

Postby Kenny » Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:42 am

In general, the kite lines should all be even lengths for best performance on the Bularoo. Front lines tend to stretch over time, adjustment can be made by attaching the back lines at a higher knot. The next time you are out, ask a more experienced kiter to take a look at your lines while the kite is in the air with another person available to land/launch the kite as you make adjustments. It doesn't take long to get a kite in adjustment.
Kenny
Site Admin

Re: pairing a kite with a bar

Postby JCRicketts » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:26 pm

Yeah, what Kenny said. Also, the Bularoo 13m has a lower aspect ratio than some of the smaller kites, it will turn fast but penetrate upwind a little slower and have a tendency to stall if the the wind isn't strong enough. You can expect it will fly as low as 8ish mph but you won't really get any pull from it until 15ish mph. A smooth 18-25mph with that kite is ideal. Check your pulleys and make sure they roll freely and it seems like that kite has battens also. It will be sluggish and flutter without the battens, make sure they are not broken. Sometimes they break but appear intact, so check em.
You can always try anything once!
JCRicketts

Return to Newcomers and Transplants Forum