Windsurf Rigging Inquiry

For beginners of kiting or windsurfing, or people new to the area to introduce themselves and ask questions.
Forum rules
Welcome to the Utah Windrider's Association
-This forum is for people new to the area or just getting into Windsurfing, Snowkiting, or Water Kiting. Please reference which sport(s) in your subject heading.
-Please introduce yourself and tell a bit about how you got into the sport.
-Hopefully people will be able to answer any questions that you might have. Please see the "Learn to Windsurf" or "Learn to Kite" links above.
-It is UWA website policy to register using your full name. First name initial/full last name is acceptable. Thanks for your cooperation.
-We were all beginners at one time, hopefully we'll all remember that in this forum.

Windsurf Rigging Inquiry

Postby DevinClarke » Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:46 pm

I just found a beginner's set up at a price I couldn't pass up. I'd been wanting to give windsurfing a try. Please offer any advice that you may have concerning rigging the mast to the board. From what I can tell, there is a key component of hardware that is missing. The board is a HUGE O'brien Sensation 11'6" and the tie on boom/mast came with a sail that says 5.6.

Any advice on what hardware I'm missing? Anyone have an old piece they'd be willing to sell? The photo also show's the retractable dagger. Do those just push down and stay? Or am I missing a locking piece to keep it down as well?

Thank you
Attachments
bronson! 484.jpg
DevinClarke

Re: Windsurf Rigging Inquiry

Postby Leo Chan » Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:06 am

Devin, you might not like what I have to to tell you. . .

1. While the price for the rig is low, it might not be a good setup to learn on. What you have is more than 20 years old. At the very least, you need a new setup for the rig (boom, mast and sail). I will be more than happy to lend you my beginner set up.

2. You need a mast base and extension. Here are couple of them from ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Neil-Pryde-US-Chino ... 1|294%3A50

http://cgi.ebay.com/Chinook-25cm-Medium ... 1|294%3A50

I might have couple of items you can use. Give me a call if you're interested. 801-319-3980

Have fun!

~Leo
Leo Chan

Postby DevinClarke » Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:29 am

Thank you Leo for responding. No worries about telling me like it is. I realize the rigging is ancient. The truth is, I was initially interested in the board only for SUP. I gave it a whirl today and it paddles great. I can't help but want to complete the set up for windsurfing potential.

If anyone has got an extra universal base and mast extension I'd be interested in paying $20 give or take. I see they sell online but I'd rather buy local if possible.

Thanks again for your help and offer Leo. I'll give you a call.
DevinClarke

Postby Josh Shirley » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:57 pm

Ok, I upgraded Devin's sail, mast, and boom. But he needs a mast extension - a shorty will do. And he needs a universal joint.

Any one? Any one?

So to reiterate:
mast extension
and
u joint

He is willing to pay $20. I know someone out there has something for him.

Josh
Whatever thou art, do well thy part.
Josh Shirley
Site Admin

Postby Leo Chan » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:31 pm

I got an extra extension. But I am out of mast base. I will trade mine for a six pack. :mrgreen:
Leo Chan

Postby JimSouthwick » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:16 am

How does the base/universal attach? Is it a conventional slot or some sort of proprietary "Euro" type set up. If it's a normal slot, I can help.

Cell: 435-671-1348
JimSouthwick

Postby Josh Shirley » Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:11 pm

he just needs a plain Jane version. single bolt uni with a cinook style cup. Preferrably a matching pair (base and extension)
Whatever thou art, do well thy part.
Josh Shirley
Site Admin

Postby JimSouthwick » Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:34 pm

Got one of those, which he can have very cheap - a six-pack would do nicely! How do I get it to him?
JimSouthwick

Postby DevinClarke » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:34 pm

You guys are great, Leo, Josh and Jim. The limited experience I've had on a windsurfer has proven to be extremely technically challenging and very rewarding. I look forward to more sessions.

Jim, feel free to contact me (801) 448-5777 (cell) or dclarke119@hotmail.com and I'll swing by to pick it up. I live near the Univ. of Utah. Also, let me know your bevy of choice.

Thanks again
DevinClarke

Return to Newcomers and Transplants Forum