Newbie gets great lesson with Josh. (1st Post)

For beginners of kiting or windsurfing, or people new to the area to introduce themselves and ask questions.
Forum rules
Welcome to the Utah Windrider's Association
-This forum is for people new to the area or just getting into Windsurfing, Snowkiting, or Water Kiting. Please reference which sport(s) in your subject heading.
-Please introduce yourself and tell a bit about how you got into the sport.
-Hopefully people will be able to answer any questions that you might have. Please see the "Learn to Windsurf" or "Learn to Kite" links above.
-It is UWA website policy to register using your full name. First name initial/full last name is acceptable. Thanks for your cooperation.
-We were all beginners at one time, hopefully we'll all remember that in this forum.

Newbie gets great lesson with Josh. (1st Post)

Postby RyanG » Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:33 pm

Hi All,

I just had my first Utah lesson (had a couple semi-successful lessons previously in Maui) with Josh yesterday evening in Provo Bay and it was great! Thanks to the good, beginner equipment and instruction, it felt so good to be riding the board for most of the time. I was on an older, but good Start board with a small, fixed daggerboard and was using a small 4.0 sail, I believe. The wind was strong (for me) and steady and it felt like I was cruising at times, but never planed at all. I was only able to do slow, walk-around tacks, but it felt good to stay on my board most of the time and ride back and forth. I struggled a bunch trying to steer farther downwind. It felt like I was prone to keep going upwind slightly. Maybe my fixed daggerboard made it a bit harder, but I should have been able to get downwind. That is what I want to learn next Josh, along with possibly learning to jibe and plane...that is what I really look forward to.

Anyway, I had a great time and very much liked the conditions of Provo Bay with a North wind. And props to Josh for making it simpler to me vs. some of the complex details I was messing up with in Maui. Of course, being in the bay with no swell, and no major current helped too. I have to say thanks as well to Josh for helping me to reconsider buying some old, 20 year-old gear on KSL that would have made learning extremely frustrating if at all possible for me. I'm reading my "Start Windsurfing Right" book I just received today as well. Well, I think I've caught the windsurfing bug and know it will be way better, once I learn more.

Oh, I should mention that I just purchased a Hobie Island (kayak-trimaran with a sail) a couple months ago and have sailed it a few times at Pineview (I live in Centerville). I have a couple trampolines that go on both sides like a small Hobie 16 that I can get my kids on. It's been fun, but I know I will crave the speed of windsurfing.

Greetings to all,

Ryan Gasser
RyanG

Re: Newbie gets great lesson with Josh. (1st Post)

Postby Leo Chan » Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:47 pm

Welcome to the world of wind addicts. :)))
Leo Chan

Postby DevinClarke » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:24 pm

You did the smart thing and took advice from people who know before jumping on an impulse purchase. I probably ended up with what you decided to pass up from KSL.

Has anyone ridden on the Oquirh lake? My wife and I SUPed there today and then I had her practice on the windsurfer when the thermal kicked in. It was enjoyable from a newbie point of view, but a very small reach for anyone else.
DevinClarke

Postby Leo Chan » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:36 pm

Devin, it won't be long before you and your wife start to look for a better board/sail. Just make sure ask us first. We might have some stuff that we don't use much anymore, but still way better than the ones in KSL or Craig's List. Having modern equipment will get you planning that much faster!
Leo Chan

Postby DaveHubbel » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:47 am

Ryan,
I am looking to take my daughters canoeing in that area, where do you access Provo Bay? from south of the airport or from the south? Does it have a sandy bottom instead of standard Utah Lake mud?
thanks
DaveHubbel

Postby RyanG » Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:52 am

(Sorry, been out of town a lot lately)
Devin,

I doubt you got the stuff I was looking at. But yeah, I'm glad I was steered away from that from Josh. Some guys might be able to get away learning on that stuff, but I need modern gear and lots of practice.

Dave,

I've only been to Provo Bay that one time, but it seemed like a good place for learning. I came from the North and took the Center St. exit going West and just stayed on that until I hit the Marina. I bet you could go conoeing fine in that, I think the bottom is the same as elsewhere in the lake. Another place that I've been going to go kayaking on my Hobie Island, is Bountiful Pond. It is close to me and a good place to kayak or canoe.

Ryan
RyanG

Return to Newcomers and Transplants Forum