Sail sizes for windsurfing in Utah

For beginners of kiting or windsurfing, or people new to the area to introduce themselves and ask questions.
Forum rules
Welcome to the Utah Windrider's Association
-This forum is for people new to the area or just getting into Windsurfing, Snowkiting, or Water Kiting. Please reference which sport(s) in your subject heading.
-Please introduce yourself and tell a bit about how you got into the sport.
-Hopefully people will be able to answer any questions that you might have. Please see the "Learn to Windsurf" or "Learn to Kite" links above.
-It is UWA website policy to register using your full name. First name initial/full last name is acceptable. Thanks for your cooperation.
-We were all beginners at one time, hopefully we'll all remember that in this forum.

Sail sizes for windsurfing in Utah

Postby adam kochanski » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:58 pm

Hello,
My name is Adam and I moved to SLC from Reno last summer. I'm originally from Poland and I haven't windsurfed in Utah yet. If you are curious about Polish windsurfing spots along the Baltic Sea, you can check this link: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2wuf7 ... helski_fun.

I checked the Local Sites & Maps section and I see that in general, sails in a size range from 8.5 to 9.5 m2, and short boards around 140l are recommended as the most practical for local wind conditions. So now is my question: 8.5 seems to me like a big sail, 9.5 absolutely huge :-), is the 140l board big enough for these sails? How about 165l, wouldn't it work better with these sails? If I weight around 140 pounds, would 8m2 work for me, or I should go for 8.5 or 9? How big sails/boards do you actually use in a summer?

Thanks

Adam
adam kochanski

Re: Sail sizes for windsurfing in Utah

Postby Steven Nyhus » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:02 pm

Hello Adam and welcome to Utah. I can just give you some info on what I use here. I think I have a pretty good setup for sailing in Utah. My board is a Starboard Free Formula 157 and sail sizes of 9.0, 7.5, 6.2, and 5.0. The majority of my time is spent on the 9.0 and 7.5, but I love it when we get 6.2 conditions like we had this afternoon at Utah Lake. To be honest, with the board that I have, I have only used the 5.0 one time in the last 3 years. That's not to say that we don't get 5.0 conditions once in a while, it's just that it doesn't work well with the board. I would say that a board in the 120 to 160 liter range would be the one you would use the most. As far as sail size, 9.0 is a big sail, but there are others in the state that have bigger sizes. If your board can handle it a larger size will get you a little more time on the water. A good 7.5 (or even a 7.0 because you are a little lighter than me) will get a lot of use. I know other will chime in and give some more info. There are a lot of really good sailors here that know how to get the most out of sailing the high deserts of Utah.
Steven Nyhus

Postby Craig Goudie » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:06 am

Yeh, huge sails, welcome to Utah. What kind of 165 ltr board do you have? At your weight, an 8.0 and a
"shortboard" (that definition is a board without a centerboard) with 80 or better cms width, and a 60 cm skeg
would get you planing in about 11MPH, and we get a lot of 11MPH wind. As I recall, Washoe lake is the Reno
sailing venue, it gets stronger winds than typical on Utah lakes. If you want to plane really early, you just can't
beat a formula board, and I've ridden a few, but, I'm not a big fan. For reference, I have a "Freeride" Angulo
Sumo 155, which carries me and my 185 lbs onto a plane with a 9.5 sail in 11MPH winds.

You asked if 140 ltrs will carry a 9.5, it depends on the board width, and the skeg size. My 133 ltr Hypersonic
is 77 cm wide, and it will (barely) carry a 9.5 with a huge skeg. An 8.0 would be no problem.

-Craig

adam kochanski wrote:Hello,
My name is Adam and I moved to SLC from Reno last summer. I'm originally from Poland and I haven't windsurfed in Utah yet. If you are curious about Polish windsurfing spots along the Baltic Sea, you can check this link: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2wuf7 ... helski_fun.

I checked the Local Sites & Maps section and I see that in general, sails in a size range from 8.5 to 9.5 m2, and short boards around 140l are recommended as the most practical for local wind conditions. So now is my question: 8.5 seems to me like a big sail, 9.5 absolutely huge :-), is the 140l board big enough for these sails? How about 165l, wouldn't it work better with these sails? If I weight around 140 pounds, would 8m2 work for me, or I should go for 8.5 or 9? How big sails/boards do you actually use in a summer?

Thanks

Adam
Craig Goudie
Sailing the Gorge on my:
8'4" OO Fat Boy, 7'9" OO Slasher, 7'4" Goya SurfWave
with Northwave Sails
Craig Goudie
Site Admin

Postby JimSouthwick » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:23 pm

You asked if 140 ltrs will carry a 9.5, it depends on the board width, and the skeg size.

Very true, especially the part about board width. The board I sail nearly every session at Deer Creek is a Starboard Prokids Formula. Its volume is only 117L, but because of its 93cm width, it does quite well with a 9.5m sail.

So back to the question of how big a sail do you need in Utah. It's important to take into account where you'll be sailing. If Deer Creek figures prominently in your plans, you need to think BIG. I'm only slightly lighter than you are (low 130s) and I get lots of DC sessions on my 7.5 and 8.5, and more than a few on my 9.5
JimSouthwick

Postby adam kochanski » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:46 am

Thanks a lot guys, I really appreciate your help.
Actually, I haven't got any board here, so the board issue is open as well. Right now I'm thinking about these options:
1. 2008 Starboard Go 144, 246 cm/79 cm 144l $999
2 2008 Starboard Go 155, 249 cm/85 cm 155l $999
3. 2008 FANATIC SHARK 145 HRS, 263 cm/75 cm 145l $1049
4. 2007 BIC TECHNO E Large 263 cm/69 cm 135 l $499
In terms of the first sail (and the only one this year) I'm considering:
1. 2008 Sailworks Retro 9.0 $599
2. 2008 Gaastra Matrix 8.5 $469
Do you think these propositions make sense? What would you recommend as experienced Utah Wind Riders for an initial setup? Do you think it is worth to pay the difference between 8.5 and 9.0 sail, or the BIC and Starboard/Fanatic board? I used to ride on my F2 Xantos III 144l /65cm/ 290 cm (which I left in Poland) but my biggest sail was only 7.0.

Thanks again,
Adam
adam kochanski

Postby Shawn Henderson » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:02 am

I am looking to go big too! I have been looking hard at this, but my opinion is from hear-say not experience. That said, what I have found. Boards: Much like Jim said, I think it would depend somewhat on where you would be sailing most often. Grantsville has smooth water and good wind (many people use small gear). But it is 100 miles away for me. Deer creek? No one knows Deer Creek like Jim, but I have seen a little of everything there. Utah Lake can be a rough ride on 140+ liters. (I am looking to purchase a board between 115-125L because this is where I sail most.) I am a starboard fan, so the GO would be my choice. Sails: You may also want to consider a carbon boom for sails larger than 7.0 From what I hear the stiff carbon helps a lot with big sails, but then again you are light (140lbs) so maybe you could get away with aluminum and a smaller sail then me like the 8.5) I am stuck saving up for the big $ boom :(( . Anyways, I have a Sailworks bias (my favorite sail is my Retro 7.5). Gastra, Ezzy, Severn, all are great too. In addition to the sails you mentioned here are a couple more I have been looking at.
http://www.windsurfing-direct.com/Produ ... R&CartID=0
http://www.windspirit-direct.com/sails_ ... fam_id=514

Shawn
Last edited by Shawn Henderson on Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Shawn Henderson

Postby Craig Goudie » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:12 am

I haven't ridden any of the boards you've listed, so it's hard to comment on them, but that Techno is going to
feel unbalanced with a 9.0 on it. You might want to have a look at the Windsurf buy/sell section also. I haven't
been in there, lately, but huge sails and boards do come up from time to time. I think Josh S has a loner Go,
he might let you try that out. I have an older 8.5 Sailworks XT2 3 camber Race sail. It's got a tear in one panel
that I've fixed with packing tape. If you want to try it out, I'll let you borrow it, then if you decided you liked it,
I'd let it go for $80. I have ridden those old Xantos IIIs, and they were pretty good for their time.

At your weight, you probably don't need a 9.0, but those Sailworks Retros are magic sails. My 9.5 is a Retro
(so are my 6.5 and 5.5 here in Utah).
They sure don't give them away though, I bought mine lightly used for ~$250 as I recall. Don't forget,
you'll need a high carbon content mast of at least 490cm, and a huge boom (which I think should be carbon also)

You might check the consignment sales at the Gorge shops also, for example, here's a fair deal
http://www.windance.com/125-liter-angul ... -4874.html it's got
similar specs to the Techno, but I'm partial to Sumos.

Good luck,

-Craig

adam kochanski wrote:Thanks a lot guys, I really appreciate your help.
Actually, I haven't got any board here, so the board issue is open as well. Right now I'm thinking about these options:
1. 2008 Starboard Go 144, 246 cm/79 cm 144l $999
2 2008 Starboard Go 155, 249 cm/85 cm 155l $999
3. 2008 FANATIC SHARK 145 HRS, 263 cm/75 cm 145l $1049
4. 2007 BIC TECHNO E Large 263 cm/69 cm 135 l $499
In terms of the first sail (and the only one this year) I'm considering:
1. 2008 Sailworks Retro 9.0 $599
2. 2008 Gaastra Matrix 8.5 $469
Do you think these propositions make sense? What would you recommend as experienced Utah Wind Riders for an initial setup? Do you think it is worth to pay the difference between 8.5 and 9.0 sail, or the BIC and Starboard/Fanatic board? I used to ride on my F2 Xantos III 144l /65cm/ 290 cm (which I left in Poland) but my biggest sail was only 7.0.

Thanks again,
Adam
Craig Goudie
Sailing the Gorge on my:
8'4" OO Fat Boy, 7'9" OO Slasher, 7'4" Goya SurfWave
with Northwave Sails
Craig Goudie
Site Admin

Postby Josh Shirley » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:16 am

Also note

I can buy Starboards at wholesale price plus $150 for shipping/handling through my school account.

So any of those boards mentioned I can get you a much better price.

Josh
Whatever thou art, do well thy part.
Josh Shirley
Site Admin

Postby Leo Chan » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:31 pm

Adam, get the GO 144. It has the same body as the Futura, just a bit heavier. The board is magical. It is very forgiving to ride, and has the performance you need. I would go with an 8.0 or 8.5 since you already have a 7.0. DON'T BUY TECHNO. It is a piece of crap!
Leo Chan

Return to Newcomers and Transplants Forum