To UT from RI - Kiteboarding

For beginners of kiting or windsurfing, or people new to the area to introduce themselves and ask questions.
Forum rules
Welcome to the Utah Windrider's Association
-This forum is for people new to the area or just getting into Windsurfing, Snowkiting, or Water Kiting. Please reference which sport(s) in your subject heading.
-Please introduce yourself and tell a bit about how you got into the sport.
-Hopefully people will be able to answer any questions that you might have. Please see the "Learn to Windsurf" or "Learn to Kite" links above.
-It is UWA website policy to register using your full name. First name initial/full last name is acceptable. Thanks for your cooperation.
-We were all beginners at one time, hopefully we'll all remember that in this forum.

To UT from RI - Kiteboarding

Postby Steven Kassakian » Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:35 pm

Hello,

Just wanted to take a moment to introduce myself on the forums...

I just recently moved to SLC from the great state of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations. While leaving the ocean state behind will certainly be tough I'll be looking forward to getting out in the mountains more often.
I'll hopefully be around for the next 4 years or so if all works out.

I am a fairly avid kiteboarder and looking forward to checking out snow kiting this winter. With the beatiful weather this weekend I am kicking myself that I decided to leave my kite gear behind to pick up later.

I had a few questions if anyone has any input:

1. For snow kiting is it preferable to be on a snowboard? I tele ski but given the stance with ski's having the harness on with the kite running across your hip seems kinda akward. Plus I feel like I am going get hurt with the tele skis on a kite.
2. What size and type of kite are people using for the mountains and lakes? e.g. which kite is going to be most useful on the most number of days?
3. How late in the year are people pushing it on the water with the kites? are any of you guys out there in dry suits?
4. If there is anyone out there that is interested in making the transition from snow to water I'd be happy to get together with you for some pointers this winter and vice-versa next spring.

I'll probably be trying to do a trip to the Caribbean this winter to get in some warm water/wind if anyone is interested in joining.

Also if anyone needs a rock climbing partner I would be very excited to get out, I sport climb in the 10s.

Anyhow just wanted to introduce myself.

Steve
Steven Kassakian

Re: To UT from RI - Kiteboarding

Postby Leo Chan » Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:44 pm

Welcome, Steve. I move here from east coast last year and got started in snowkiting right away (I windsurf in the summer). It is pretty easy compared to windsurfing and kiting on the water. You will love it! As for kiting in the water, check out the wind log and you will see people still go out during this time of the year.

Since I don't kite on water (yet), I will wait for others to tell you the size recommendation. Craig's forecast (where to ride) will indicate what size is good for that particular day.

You will find a lot of helpful wind riders in Utah. Just let us know when you have questions either here or at the location. See you soon.

~Leo

P.S. I use skis for snowkiting. It is a lot easier to work with.
Last edited by Leo Chan on Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Leo Chan

Postby Mark Johnson » Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:10 am

Hello Steve,
For snowkiting skis work great! I have seen a few on tele gear but not sure how well this works.
I have bindings that let me lock down the heel while I ride and unlock if I need to hike out.
I get alot of use out of my 11m Ozone Frenzy and would recommend this as a good size to start with if you already have some skills.
Mark Johnson

Postby john l » Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:37 am

Hey Steve,
As Mark said, there are a couple of us using our teles to kite with. You're right in thinking the riding position on a snowboard is a little more natural and can give you a similar feeling of riding on water (I got a Twisted snowboard last winter). However, skis are a blast to ride. One of my favorite things on the kite is to carve a big powered tele turn after landing a jump. Simple I know but makes me smile every time. So don't worry about getting a snowboard if you can't swing it right away. They are fun to ride to though. You'll also get good at flying a kite with one hand using skis.
Welcome to Utah
See ya out there
john l

Postby Todd Jacques » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:24 am

hello steve
Telemark rules. that is all i do. completly natural, and a blast.
welcome
todd
Todd Jacques

Postby Steven Kassakian » Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:45 pm

Thanks for all the info guys. Look forward to seeing you guys out there this winter.

What is the prevailing wisdom on snow kites? Foil vs. SLE? Optimal size? I ride a 12m Cabrinha on the water in RI, I weigh ~140.

Thanks,
Steve
Steven Kassakian

Postby Leo Chan » Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:58 pm

Steve, first, check out this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=4981

Second, it is a matter of personal choices. If you have only one kite, looks like you could benefit from another kite. Your existing kite will serve you well in mid wind days. But you need a smaller kite for higher wind and bigger kite for lower wind. I like foil because it is easy to pack and unpack. And for those days where you will be performing the walk of shame, that matters. 8)

I am just a rookie. Other more season pros can give you better advice.
Leo Chan

Postby JimSouthwick » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:26 am

One additional thought on the use of telemark gear for snowkiting: as you point out, maintaining the telemark position while flying a kite is a bit awkward (kind of like riding toeside on a snowboard) which is why most of us who use tele gear for snowkiting employ an alpine stance most of the time (i.e. windward ski forward).
JimSouthwick

Return to Newcomers and Transplants Forum