New to Windsurfing

For beginners of kiting or windsurfing, or people new to the area to introduce themselves and ask questions.
Forum rules
Welcome to the Utah Windrider's Association
-This forum is for people new to the area or just getting into Windsurfing, Snowkiting, or Water Kiting. Please reference which sport(s) in your subject heading.
-Please introduce yourself and tell a bit about how you got into the sport.
-Hopefully people will be able to answer any questions that you might have. Please see the "Learn to Windsurf" or "Learn to Kite" links above.
-It is UWA website policy to register using your full name. First name initial/full last name is acceptable. Thanks for your cooperation.
-We were all beginners at one time, hopefully we'll all remember that in this forum.

New to Windsurfing

Postby Nick Cook » Mon May 24, 2010 10:39 am

Hey everyone i am curently staying at lindon boat harbor on utah lake and was wondering if anyone would care to drag me along when they go.
I bought some old stuff online the other day before i came to this site and found out it was not a smart purchase lol. well if any of you are willing to drag a newbie alond or are interested in conditions down here give me a call on my cell at 619-739-0380.
Thx,
Nick Cook

Re: New to Windsurfing

Postby Steven Nyhus » Mon May 24, 2010 11:50 am

Welcome Nick, there are a few people that venture out at Lindon Beach and I am sure that you will be able to get some help from any of them. Look for us on the beach, there is a pretty friendly crew here in Utah.
Steven Nyhus

Postby Shawn Henderson » Tue May 25, 2010 10:13 am

Nick,
I can be found at Lindon beach just south of the boat harbor driving a rusty white pickup. When some North air flow is in the forecast I try to make it out from 4pm to dusk. Usually around 2 times per week. Hope to see you there. Like Steve said there are several regulars. Jorgon is one you might want to catch up with. He's on some older style gear also. He's a nice guy who drives a Suzuki Samurai. Some of us are newbs, but I am sure we could offer help with any questions you might have. Do be careful on the really windy days. Utah lake will kick your butt. At least it does mine regularly, but plenty of light wind can be had to learn on.
Shawn Henderson

Postby Nick Cook » Fri May 28, 2010 11:20 pm

Sweet thx i went out for the first time thur and the wind died but it was a fun and good learning exp. lol the board i have is soooo tipsy and the sail weighs a tun when it is wet. it was fun either way. at the end of the day i was able to go from one side of the beach to the other lol.
Nick Cook

Postby Travis Cook » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:22 pm

So are you kiting or windsurfing? I thought I saw another post about rigging lines?
Travis Cook

Postby Nick Cook » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:30 am

lol im kiteing mainly but i pull out the ancient rig once in a while if there isint enough wind to kite.
Nick Cook

Postby Leo Chan » Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:48 am

Nick, give me a buss next week. I live in PG and you are more than welcome to come over my place to see if there is anything in my garage that could improve your rig. It looks like you have a really old sail that will absorb water. . .

Leo: 801-319-3980
Leo Chan

Return to Newcomers and Transplants Forum