Rigging Questions

For beginners of kiting or windsurfing, or people new to the area to introduce themselves and ask questions.
Forum rules
Welcome to the Utah Windrider's Association
-This forum is for people new to the area or just getting into Windsurfing, Snowkiting, or Water Kiting. Please reference which sport(s) in your subject heading.
-Please introduce yourself and tell a bit about how you got into the sport.
-Hopefully people will be able to answer any questions that you might have. Please see the "Learn to Windsurf" or "Learn to Kite" links above.
-It is UWA website policy to register using your full name. First name initial/full last name is acceptable. Thanks for your cooperation.
-We were all beginners at one time, hopefully we'll all remember that in this forum.

Rigging Questions

Postby Vaughn Montgomery » Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:39 pm

I wish I would have noticed the rigging clinic, I'm sure it would have been worth the trip up there. But I have some things that I just can't quite figure out. I've been trying to get use to this Fanatic Ultra Gecko 105 just because I have it and feel the need to challenge myself. When I get planing and in the straps, I tend to turn upwind and need to keep my weight forward. What do I need to change? It seems more balanced if my front foot is right in front of the strap.

Mast Track: I suppose the position of the mast depends on the size of the sail?

Fin: There are a few positions for the fin, when do I want to move it forward or back?

Thanks for your reply. It's tough being the self taught, lone windsurfer down here.
Vaughn Montgomery

Re: Rigging Questions

Postby JimSouthwick » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:21 am

The tendency of small boards to turn into the wind is frequently caused by having too much weight on the windward rail. Try to sail the board on the leeward rail by pressing down with your back ankle and lifting up on the strap with your front foot.

It's generally best to put the base further forward in the track with big sails, further back with small ones. However, having the base forward in the track tends to counteract the tendency of the board to turn into the wind, so if that remains a problem, I'd suggest a forward mast position regardless of sail size.

The rule of thumb for fin placement is that the leading edge of the fin should be below the rear attachment of the back foot strap. However, fin placement also affects the tendency of the board to round up into the wind; having the fin further back reduces that tendency.

Hope this helps.
JimSouthwick

Postby Leo Chan » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:58 am

Besides what Jim said, it is important to remember that steering at planning uses the fin, not CLR. If you keep going up wind, try drag the tail of the board closer to you and press down with your ankle and toes towards the fin.
Leo Chan

Postby Vaughn Montgomery » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:07 am

Thanks guys. I'll give these a try next time I get out on the water. When I got into this, I had no idea it was so technical, I guess that's why I love the challenge!
Vaughn Montgomery

Postby Josh Shirley » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:40 pm

Not sure if your problem is a rigging issue. Maybe.

Are you turning up wind only when you are planning? Does it happen when your schloging.

Generally you are going to be turned up wind if you sail pressure is behind the board's center of resistance. So it could very well be that your harness lines are too far forward. Which would leave your sail raked back and driving you up wind. Also make sure your hands are in the balanced area.

Try spending a few minutes balancing your sail / harness lines in shallow water with wind. Your harness lines should be close to the middle point between your two hands.

In August come up to Sulfur Creek for the campout. You will be able to get help there. Sorry it is so far away.
Feel free to give me a call.
Josh
801 906-8396
Whatever thou art, do well thy part.
Josh Shirley
Site Admin

Return to Newcomers and Transplants Forum