Lake Powell

For beginners of kiting or windsurfing, or people new to the area to introduce themselves and ask questions.
Forum rules
Welcome to the Utah Windrider's Association
-This forum is for people new to the area or just getting into Windsurfing, Snowkiting, or Water Kiting. Please reference which sport(s) in your subject heading.
-Please introduce yourself and tell a bit about how you got into the sport.
-Hopefully people will be able to answer any questions that you might have. Please see the "Learn to Windsurf" or "Learn to Kite" links above.
-It is UWA website policy to register using your full name. First name initial/full last name is acceptable. Thanks for your cooperation.
-We were all beginners at one time, hopefully we'll all remember that in this forum.

Lake Powell

Postby Len Blackwell » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:19 pm

Headed to Lake Powell in early June and wanted to know if it was a good idea to bring my kites. Are there regulations prohibiting kiting on Lake Powell? Is wind rare?

Thanks so much.
Len Blackwell

Re: Lake Powell

Postby dallinking » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:50 pm

Some time ago the "kite-tube" got popular at Powell, which is a big tube with enough span that it can lift off the ground when being pulled by a boat (no kite). There were some serious injuries at Lake Powell from the kite-tubes, leading to the ban of kite-tubes, parasailing and kiteboarding

http://www.riverracer.net/forums/showth ... ake-Powell
dallinking

Postby Mark Johnson » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:41 pm

I can't remember where, but I read that kiting is not banned at Lake Powell. Also there have been post in the wind log of people riding there. If I were going and had room for kite gear, I would take it.
Mark Johnson

Postby dallinking » Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:21 pm

agreed with the above. Even if it is banned; sometimes it's better to ask for forgiveness that permission. When I've been there, there were certainly points of good wind.
dallinking

Return to Newcomers and Transplants Forum