Old to SL, new to wind sports

For beginners of kiting or windsurfing, or people new to the area to introduce themselves and ask questions.
Forum rules
Welcome to the Utah Windrider's Association
-This forum is for people new to the area or just getting into Windsurfing, Snowkiting, or Water Kiting. Please reference which sport(s) in your subject heading.
-Please introduce yourself and tell a bit about how you got into the sport.
-Hopefully people will be able to answer any questions that you might have. Please see the "Learn to Windsurf" or "Learn to Kite" links above.
-It is UWA website policy to register using your full name. First name initial/full last name is acceptable. Thanks for your cooperation.
-We were all beginners at one time, hopefully we'll all remember that in this forum.

Old to SL, new to wind sports

Postby dallinking » Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:44 pm

Hi all. My names Dallin and I'm pretty new to the kiting sports.

I've got a lot of experience in board sports (snow, wake, skate, mountain) but almost 0 experience with big ass kites, though I was very comfortable flying a 3m trainer kite I use to have. The one experience I had with my c-kite was getting on plain, only to have one of the lines become disconnected.

I'm interested in land/snow/water kiting, but am pretty limited on gear, and don't have a lot of money to blow on new stuff. Currently I have a 2006 slingshot 16m 5-line c-kite, kiteboard & snowboard. I plan on getting an 11 or 12m bow or hybrid kite to reduce my windspeed limitations. I've tried to go out a few times but haven't been able to get the right conditions or company.

I'd really like to make some friends from this board so I can have people to go out with (that have a kite) and who either know what they're doing, or are quickly learning. However, I believe I'm limited to wind conditions of about 8-15mph.

During the week I'm free from about 5pm on, or 3pm if I know the day beforehand. I'm also free during the weekends. I will be in the SL valley for the next three weeks, but will be gone for a month after (starting 4/20). If you'd be interested in going out together or wouldn't mind a newb tagging along, hit me up. My cell's 801-897-0560.

Thanks,
Dallin
dallinking

Re: Old to SL, new to wind sports

Postby Leo Chan » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:59 pm

Dallin, you can just head up to Strawberry River or Skyline (read Kenny's forecast first) and you will find some of us there. The snow condition in Skyline makes it possible to kite until the end of April, if not longer.

As for gears, I think your SS 16 meter is a good kite for the light wind condition we have here. With the 5th line, you don't have to worry much. I am guessing you have an Octane, right? I have the 12 and 14 meter. They are still nice kites to play with. Bow kites or delta kites are a lot easier to handle though. You can find some pretty good deals at the Buy/Sell section.

Water season also started couple weeks ago. So, you can pick your own "drugs". Welcome.
Leo Chan

Re: Old to SL, new to wind sports

Postby dallinking » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:53 pm

nice, thanks Leo, and yes, it is an octane. Crazy how fast kite technology goes out of date right now. Hopefully I can get all my newb abuse out of the way on this giant before I've got me somethin younger and hotter.
dallinking

Return to Newcomers and Transplants Forum