Trying to pick up where I left off (kite sports)

For beginners of kiting or windsurfing, or people new to the area to introduce themselves and ask questions.
Forum rules
Welcome to the Utah Windrider's Association
-This forum is for people new to the area or just getting into Windsurfing, Snowkiting, or Water Kiting. Please reference which sport(s) in your subject heading.
-Please introduce yourself and tell a bit about how you got into the sport.
-Hopefully people will be able to answer any questions that you might have. Please see the "Learn to Windsurf" or "Learn to Kite" links above.
-It is UWA website policy to register using your full name. First name initial/full last name is acceptable. Thanks for your cooperation.
-We were all beginners at one time, hopefully we'll all remember that in this forum.

Trying to pick up where I left off (kite sports)

Postby Alex Hironaka » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:25 pm

Hello everyone! Many years ago I had a family member introduce me to kite sports, I immediately took an interest in them and saved up some money to begin to gather my gear.

I started getting into the kite sports around 6 years ago (snowkiting/kiteboarding) and took a few lessons and got some gear. Then I had to set my stuff aside for a few years and now that I am back I want to pick up where I left off. I have only been out on the water once and that was over 4 years ago :??

I currently live just north of American Fork and will be moving to Provo in the next few weeks while I do summer courses at UVU. I'd love to meet up with some of the local veterans and learn what I can about the weather patterns, kiting, etc. I still have the bug and I really want to ride, but only after I am sure of what I am doing. After all, there is no reason to risk injury to myself or others. Like so many others I am a poor college student, so big road trips are kind of a limited option for me. I still have an understanding of the basics of kite flying but have had limited opportunities to get back onto the learning curve.

I have a 14m and 6m LEI (the 6 is in need of repairs though :cry: ) Along with a 2.5m FOIL that I just acquired to mess around with during high wind days when I can't risk playing with my other kites. Other than that I have 3 bars, 3 sets of lines, 2 harnesses and a kiteboard that I have only used behind boats so far (not including any of the gear that goes with the 2.5m).

In other words, greetings from the local nub.
Alex Hironaka

Re: Trying to pick up where I left off (kite sports)

Postby David Kyle » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:46 pm

AH, just get out there and ride. keep your schedual open enough to
ride Deer Creek as much as possible in the spring, summer, and into late fall.
You can ride Lincoln and South Sandy B when conditions are right. Follow the croud
and you will get as much help needed to progress, If you ask the right people.
David Kyle

Postby Leo Chan » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:20 pm

Alex, how old are your kites? The technology has changed so much, it might be worth considering some newer gears. Not only it will help you progress, it will also give you peace of mind. Anyway, practice flying the trainer kite as much as possible to get a good handle for piloting and then try the 6 meter before the water gets warmer.

I am a professor at UVU. What classes are you taking/
Leo Chan

Postby Alex Hironaka » Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:44 am

My kites are rather old. If I had to take a guess I would say the 14m is from 2005-2006 and the 6m is from 2006-2007. They are just old C kites, nothing fancy like newer bow kites. I would love to get a new kite, but currently lack the funding for such expenditures. I have throughly inspected both of my kites. The 6m kite is in need of repairs (long story). The 14m kite has had one canopy repair, and other than that it looks to be in decent condition. I did a pressure check and there were no signs of any air leakage after a week of being set up in the basement. The bladders of the 6m are still intact as well.

I will be completing some generals over the summer: Math 1050, HLTH 1100, as well as PHIL 2050. My currently declared major is Pre-Engineering.
Alex Hironaka

Postby Leo Chan » Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:36 pm

C-kite is rough for Utah's gusty condition. So, wait until the north days at Lincoln Beach in UL to go out on your 14. I doubt you will have much need for the 6 meter other than flying it for fun. If it requires a 6 meter, you shouldn't go out! Try to get a newer 9-11 meter bow/delta kite. Some can go as low $350 complete in the buy and sell section.

Good luck and be safe.
Leo Chan

Return to Newcomers and Transplants Forum