What size board should I get?

For beginners of kiting or windsurfing, or people new to the area to introduce themselves and ask questions.
Forum rules
Welcome to the Utah Windrider's Association
-This forum is for people new to the area or just getting into Windsurfing, Snowkiting, or Water Kiting. Please reference which sport(s) in your subject heading.
-Please introduce yourself and tell a bit about how you got into the sport.
-Hopefully people will be able to answer any questions that you might have. Please see the "Learn to Windsurf" or "Learn to Kite" links above.
-It is UWA website policy to register using your full name. First name initial/full last name is acceptable. Thanks for your cooperation.
-We were all beginners at one time, hopefully we'll all remember that in this forum.

What size board should I get?

Postby Tom Gabourie » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:34 am

I have been kiteskiing in Park City and at Strawberry for the past 2 winters and have gotten the kite skills to take it to the water.What size board would be good for a 6'6'' guy weighing 230 lbs.? I would like to go a bit long for easier learning. Liquid force has a 161 m on sale. Would this work all right for me?
Tom Gabourie

Re: What size board should I get?

Postby jason morton » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:11 am

Tom-
I wouldn't recommend the LF 161, even for your size. Length isn't really a factor as much as width/rocker. That board is kind of dated and is probably just a dog. You will progress fast and will outgrow that board. Light-wind boards are a must for Utah. SS Glide, Spleene, Crazy-Fly all make boards for light wind. I used to weigh 240 and rode a 135x44 and a 146x48. Get a newer board that you won't outgrow. Hope this helps!!
jason morton

Postby Marty Lowe » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:47 am

I have a Glide I'll sell for $200. with straps and pads.

Send me a PM or email if you are interested.

(PM and EMAIL button under the avatar)

Marty

PS

132 Liquid force Recoil $150
138 Liquid Force Mission $150

My new Xenon 135(1 board quiver) has replaced all 3 of these boards
Marty Lowe

Postby bordy » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:37 pm

jason morton wrote:Tom-
I wouldn't recommend the LF 161, even for your size. Length isn't really a factor as much as width/rocker. That board is kind of dated and is probably just a dog. You will progress fast and will outgrow that board. Light-wind boards are a must for Utah. SS Glide, Spleene, Crazy-Fly all make boards for light wind. I used to weigh 240 and rode a 135x44 and a 146x48. Get a newer board that you won't outgrow. Hope this helps!!

So you are saying your less then 240 now?? huh.....
bordy

Postby MikE mAy » Fri May 06, 2011 7:50 am

might i also suggest a Sky pro model from North. traditionally, its a bigger beefier board but still has the performance characteristics of a smaller board. mistakenly, i thought i was a "big guy" years ago and bought this. i'm 165 and 5'10" and while its a bit big, i have absolutely loved it. i would highly suggest finding a used model for sale.
MikE mAy

Postby Marty Lowe » Mon May 09, 2011 12:34 pm

Marty Lowe wrote:I have a Glide I'll sell for $200. with straps and pads.

Send me a PM or email if you are interested.

(PM and EMAIL button under the avatar)

Marty

PS

132 Liquid force Recoil $150
138 Liquid Force Mission $150

My new Xenon 135(1 board quiver) has replaced all 3 of these boards

GLIDE SOLD/ MATT
RECOIL SOLD / MIKE
MISSION SOLD / CHRIS
Marty Lowe

Return to Newcomers and Transplants Forum