best way to go now...

Members' forum for discussing kite issues.

best way to go now...

Postby chrislaub » Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:29 pm

I'm new to kiteboarding, and this forum. I took ground lessons while on vacation in Long Beach last year and want to keep learning / progressing. But I'm not sure where to go from here without spending a small fortune. Looking back on how you guys learned, would you recommend 1- buying a trainer kite and putting in sessions or 2- paying for another lesson starting with body dragging in the water only to be left without a way to practice for another year or 3- doing something else. From the old posts I've read, people recommend a large 15m+ kite for light UT winds. If I buy a 5m foil trainer kite will I at least be able to "landboard" / "snowkite." Or should I forego the small kite and get a 7m. I'm 6' 1" and 190lbs.

“If you end your training now — if you choose the quick and easy path as Vader did — you will become an agent of evil.” :))

Chris Laub
chrislaub

Re: best way to go now...

Postby jason morton » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:37 pm

Chris- You're in a tough spot. You probably need more trainer kite experience. And they are fun for skateboarding with but won't work well for snowkiting. You need more lessons too. And what sucks is that the 2 kite instructors we had here retired! It is not advised to go buy a kite a wing it. Unfortunately it seems we don't have a way for local people to learn safely here. This is problem.
jason morton

Postby chrislaub » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:12 pm

Yeah, I want to learn responsibly and don't feel comfortable taking a kite out and "trying my luck." This would end badly. After thinking it over, I don't see the wisdom in buying a kite before I've had the chance to try some more out, learn the local conditions, and find the best deal. For now, UKB lessons look to be my best option. The "return to learn" option sounds like what I want. Does anyone know will they provide the kite rental each time? If so at what cost? I can already see that Kiteboarding don't come cheap. Hehe. :oo Still, I'd rather take the time to learn it right then get injured. thanks Jason for the feedback. :))
chrislaub

Postby Jacob Buzianis » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:39 pm

Hi Chris,

Send me a text me. 801-671-0129 I can set you with a great instructor out here to learn how to kiteboard safety. I live in Cottonwood Height BTW.

Jacob
Jacob Buzianis

Postby matt rondina » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:11 pm

Hi Jacob,

I am also looking for a great instructor for a friend of mine here in SLC. May I text or PM you to get this info? Thank you.

Matt
matt rondina

Postby Jacob Buzianis » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:21 am

Yea, Matt,

you can text me.
Jacob Buzianis

Return to Kiters' Forum