4/13 Rush 3.0 78L

Post your latest session. Provide the location, date, equipment used, and most importantly tells us about your fun. That fun is helpful to people who are thinking about where to go the next time.
Forum rules
Please at least list in the subject line "Date, Location, sail/kite size, board size"
Example:
04/15 Ut Lake SSB, 16M kite, 136
08/23 Sulphur Crick, 3.7M/78L

4/13 Rush 3.0 78L

Postby RickHeninger » Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:17 am

It was definitely a “Swamp Meat”… All I came away with was big smile and some dirty gear...

I sailed with my Wildsurf 78 with a 3.0 sail. I can’t believe how overpowered I was most of the time.

I arrived at about 4:30PM… Sailed with Josh, Craig, Mercedes Mark… And one kiter, Mitch, who was actually doing VERY well with a 5.0 Meter KITE. I actually had a good session. Although it was hard to hang on!!! Saw one kiter trying to fly a foil kite go from 0 to 60 MPH in about .002 seconds on land but safely slowed down luckily!

The water is soooo shallow. In the middle it is lucky to get up over your knees. There were a couple of spots where it was up to my hips… We need water badly in Rush… I had a jump out in the middle once where I hit the bottom upon landing… The fin hit the mud EVERY SINGLE jibe. Even to Jibe in the middle was hard. The gusty 35-45 MPH wind didn't really make it any easier.

My arms and hands (grips) were exhausted pretty quickly.

When on the shoreline my wind meter read an average windspeed of 36 and a max of 46… I think that there were a couple of stronger gusts during the day… Stockton Bar was reading a couple at 60 MPH’s but that is up higher on the mountain of course… By the end of my session the wind was starting to calm down and I actually had a couple of perfect rides, still 3.0!

All in all… It was a pretty fun session despite the challenges. Oh… The water was extremely chocolaty of course... And I have an extra arm growing out of my face, but hey, those can sure be handy!

PS… The Penny’s wind meter is reading accurate speed, just wrong direction… The direction is same as Stockton Bar’s I believe. I don't know for sure though... Craig? Fun day, just happy to say that I sailed Rush... I think it'd been 4 years since I'd done that.

Have a good one!
RickHeninger
Site Admin

What's up with the Penny's wind Meter

Postby Craig Goudie » Thu Apr 14, 2005 5:32 pm

As Rick suggested. Penny's is reading the wrong direction.
Back when it was reading the right direction, you could use the
data between the Bar and Penny's to get an idea of when it might
switch, or die. Now ya just has to take yur chances. The speed
is still pretty acurate.
Craig Goudie
Sailing the Gorge on my:
8'4" OO Fat Boy, 7'9" OO Slasher, 7'4" Goya SurfWave
with Northwave Sails
Craig Goudie
Site Admin

Return to Wind Log