Grantsville, 6/25/05. 5.7/6.9, 85L/135L

Post your latest session. Provide the location, date, equipment used, and most importantly tells us about your fun. That fun is helpful to people who are thinking about where to go the next time.
Forum rules
Please at least list in the subject line "Date, Location, sail/kite size, board size"
Example:
04/15 Ut Lake SSB, 16M kite, 136
08/23 Sulphur Crick, 3.7M/78L

Grantsville, 6/25/05. 5.7/6.9, 85L/135L

Postby kenonstott » Sun Jun 26, 2005 10:42 am

To paraphrase a Six Sigma axiom on models, all weather forecasts are wrong, some are useful. The previous weekends Thursday and Sunday forecasts were identical to this Saturdays and yet all 3 days were quite different. Anyway, as soon as I looked out on the valley and saw the amount of moisture in the air I new I had better pick somewhere that would blow early so I could get done before the clouds hit. Sailed 10:00 to 2:30, 75% on the 5.7 and 25% on the 6.9. With all the clouds around it never really settled in, going back and forth between the sails. I did manage lots of wild planers alternating with hoping I could stay on the board long enough to schlog back to shore. It helps to have the attitude of what better way to be spending a warm summer day. Finally, about 2:30 just as I had switched to the 6.9 during a lull, I got flattened on the far side of the lake by microburst winds. It was 10 min. of hard work to get back to shore in winds gusting into the high 30’s. I knew it would be over too soon to re-rig so I sat on the equipment. It died abruptly at 3:00 and I packed and scooted on home as I knew I had a hot date for the evening.
kenonstott

Return to Wind Log