6-28 Yuba 9.0 Fboard

Post your latest session. Provide the location, date, equipment used, and most importantly tells us about your fun. That fun is helpful to people who are thinking about where to go the next time.
Forum rules
Please at least list in the subject line "Date, Location, sail/kite size, board size"
Example:
04/15 Ut Lake SSB, 16M kite, 136
08/23 Sulphur Crick, 3.7M/78L

6-28 Yuba 9.0 Fboard

Postby Sarah Ranes » Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:51 am

Had the day off, and the weather/storms looked like a crap shoot. so we thought we would go check out Yuba. Looked sailable on big gear when we arrived so I rigged. As I was getting in my wetsuit a big gust came along and flipped my sail and put a couple of holes in it. My fault, since I had not even hooked them together. As soon as the repair tape was on, a very dark thunderhead was upon us, and lots of very strong wind, I would have guessed a 4.0 or smaller would have worked. Full on white caps across the lake. We were on the west beach, and I was glad that the was an overhang, to get the equipment out of the strong wind and rain. After about 20 minutes that was over. Then I finally got some rides on the big gear for about 45 minutes and then the wind shut off and I gave up. We left about 5:30 to blue skies and some breezes reappearing.

The water level is way up. Even the small area of trees that you could camp next to a year or two ago, was under water. Lot's of picnic tables, that's what my sail launched into. But the beach area is in pretty good shape.
Sarah Ranes

Sara

Postby RickHeninger » Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:46 am

Hey, that is great you visited Yubaslovakaniosaki... (taking it far east a little this time)... Anyway, how was the beach exactly? I know you said it was in good shape... ie Sand, rocks, sage, dirt...

How were the midge flies? Fewer or More... Not emotionally.

I have been watching the water level there climb... I am wondering if it'll fill... It takes 80 feet to fill and it's at ~74 feet and the rise in water level is slowing... I mean, it's Yuba, not like it's really that important, but I for some reason have had some of my best sailing days ever at that place. Don't know what it is...

You went during the week... I have done that before and I felt like I was the ONLY person on the planet. Like Planet of the Apes... Only me and a few Seagulls. Was there anybody there?

Days like that even a few of the Monster Truck Ralliers are ok to see and hear... Actually it can be quite peaceful and surreal somedays down there.
I have a pretty good video of only me and a Seagull there and I made a big squawk noise trying to converse with it... Scared the tar out of it... ;)
RickHeninger
Site Admin

Return to Wind Log