All weather forecasts are wrong, some are useful. Sulph, 7/2

Post your latest session. Provide the location, date, equipment used, and most importantly tells us about your fun. That fun is helpful to people who are thinking about where to go the next time.
Forum rules
Please at least list in the subject line "Date, Location, sail/kite size, board size"
Example:
04/15 Ut Lake SSB, 16M kite, 136
08/23 Sulphur Crick, 3.7M/78L

All weather forecasts are wrong, some are useful. Sulph, 7/2

Postby kenonstott » Sun Jul 03, 2005 7:50 am

6.9/Ride 104L. I am not complaining about the wind, it was a classic afternoon of Sulphur sailing. It is just these weather forecasts. This is the third time I have been to Sulphur with the wind predictions of 20-30 and seen it be 10-20. Someone in NOAA likes to blow things out of proportion. It was pretty much the 17 to 20 that Accuweather was predicting. 9 sailors showed up for perfect summer sailing. The guys were on mid 6’s and I think Cindy was on a 5.7. The clouds didn’t show up until most everyone was finished. Only a few power boats out so it was perfect for us.

:D
kenonstott

Postby vernv » Sun Jul 03, 2005 7:55 am

Wow, I guess the Evanston wind meter isn't too accurate for Sulphur, but it did trend the prediction pretty well. I missed it due to other obligations, but was imagining a 5.0 sesh.

http://www.met.utah.edu/cgi-bin/droman/ ... W&time=GMT
vernv

Postby layne.peterson » Tue Jul 05, 2005 4:51 pm

Saturday was 6.0 for Cindy and 6.5 for me but there were quite a few holes & gusts combined. We got there late on Sunday and rigged a 5.5 for Cindy and 6.0 for me (apparently it had picked up a little from what Doug & Marty said). Had a few nicely powered rides before I rigged up a 7.1 and gave the 6.0 to Cindy and then it backed off completely. Monday was 8.5 with not much planing opportunity. John Dubock let me try his Hypersonic near the end of the day and I squeaked out 2 more planers and called it a day. Thanks John, that is one slippery fast board!
layne.peterson

Return to Wind Log