7-8-05 Little Dell

Post your latest session. Provide the location, date, equipment used, and most importantly tells us about your fun. That fun is helpful to people who are thinking about where to go the next time.
Forum rules
Please at least list in the subject line "Date, Location, sail/kite size, board size"
Example:
04/15 Ut Lake SSB, 16M kite, 136
08/23 Sulphur Crick, 3.7M/78L

7-8-05 Little Dell

Postby stevemayer » Sat Jul 09, 2005 6:39 am

Got a short ride in on a 15 meter kite around 6:30 pm. I was about 2 hours late. My buddies were there checking it out earlier and said it was on, but the thermal driven wind's had died off by the time we found a suitable launch. You have to have a crew to help launch a kite, but windsurfing should be great here. Water was so clean, clear and not too cold on a 100 degree day.

This place has promise! 6 miles from SLC!
Stop by Cloud 9 Soaring Center or check us out on line at http://www.paragliders.com for all your kites and flying needs. Special UWA prices.
stevemayer

Postby Kenny » Sat Jul 09, 2005 8:56 pm

Steve,

I have kite boarded at Little Dell a few times when we had strong east winds. The wind would funnel down the north end of the lake and I would do a downwinder to the south end. Mike Rossberg and I were able to launch from the north end without assistance.

You can ride on a south wind, but as you found out, you really need a kite slave.

I am glad that you reminded me of this location. I found that whenever canyon winds are in the forecast that Little Dell is a good possibility. I used to bring my mountain bike along and if it didn't blow, I would bike instead.

Kenny
Kenny
Site Admin

Return to Wind Log