Sunday at Sulphur Creek - 8.7, 279 Roberts, 54 cm

Post your latest session. Provide the location, date, equipment used, and most importantly tells us about your fun. That fun is helpful to people who are thinking about where to go the next time.
Forum rules
Please at least list in the subject line "Date, Location, sail/kite size, board size"
Example:
04/15 Ut Lake SSB, 16M kite, 136
08/23 Sulphur Crick, 3.7M/78L

Sunday at Sulphur Creek - 8.7, 279 Roberts, 54 cm

Postby DimitriMilovich » Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:37 am

This won't be as eloquent as Carl's great posting. I think the club literary award continues to be a tie between Carl and Rick Henninger. Rob, you're in the running. You guys are proof that windsurfing is inspirational -- I have visions of you all coming back to your cars after a sail and writing furiously before the spirit leaves you. Whatever -- it's a treat to get these glimpses of our wind talent.

Long time since I was at Sulphur. Forgotten how pretty the ride was going up. Echo Res. is so full. Reminded me of when I was learning and thought that was the place to go on a North wind. That was back when I thought thunderstorms came from the North. Wonder if the burger place is still there at Echo Junction? Remembered huddling there for a late lunch during a lightning studded downpour on one of my better sailing day choices.

Anyway, Sulphur started getting breezy at 1:00. By 2:00 I was rigged and headin' out. Started with a reach to the NE corner then a long fully wound downwinder to the opposite end of the lake when a strong SW filled in. Saw a flock of pelicans down by the creek mounth and a cormorant. Spent the next couple hours mostly powered, all over the lake, wishing it was bigger, but thankful it was just me, three other sailors, and a few fishing boats. Pam and Craig, new transplants from Chicago were there along with another sailor. Doug from the North Shore showed up, but the kiting wasn't quite what it needed to be 'cause he was gone when I came back. Hey Doug, I coulda loaned you some old-style wind gear to go play on! The fills kept building and by 5:00 I had gotten slammed twice when I couldn't get my outhaul in tight enough before the gusts got me tailwalking. Rigged my 6.7 just to see if I could go out and play in the gusts, but it backed off. Took a short nap to let my arms rest then headed out again at 6:00 for 10 more cross-lake planers. Cocktail hour at Sulphur is the steadiest wind of the day. (might have been the best kiting, too) It quit at 7:00 and I headed to the "Last Chance" to stock up on beverages to take back to the dry state. Pelicans, cormorant, great blue heron, and two sandhill cranes! My first sandhills - they were along the fields heading back to town after you cross the Bear River.
Dimitri
DimitriMilovich

Ha...

Postby RickHeninger » Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:30 pm

Dimitri,

That is funny... Ya know... I never have claimed to be a literary talent... For I am not! However, I do find it humorous to see such elocution amidst the small tragedies that we survive out on the water... It is the Wind that inspires... Not necessarily the Long Winded or the long posted!!! ;) (great word huh)...

Not all Windriding days deserve such elaboration, but some do... Carl, that was beautiful! Thanks again...

PS Dimitri, You forgot to add Craig to that list... Remember some of his posts... Full of poetic charm... And PSS... DangerD might be an honorary member after his letter...

Laughter is pretty good temporary pain killer...
RickHeninger
Site Admin

Postby Rick McClain » Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:16 pm

Wow! I feel like such a fool. All this time I thought UWA stood for Utah Windriders Association when it really stood for Utah Windwriters Association. :-o :D
Rick McClain

Return to Wind Log