ssb 18m- 135 sunday 7-17

Post your latest session. Provide the location, date, equipment used, and most importantly tells us about your fun. That fun is helpful to people who are thinking about where to go the next time.
Forum rules
Please at least list in the subject line "Date, Location, sail/kite size, board size"
Example:
04/15 Ut Lake SSB, 16M kite, 136
08/23 Sulphur Crick, 3.7M/78L

ssb 18m- 135 sunday 7-17

Postby jason morton » Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:57 pm

it was a welcome change back to some north wind. lots of kites out. i got pulled off my edge riding the flat water inlet, spun a 360 into the reeds, then my kite went into a death spiral taking me for a ride through farm land. very scary. first reaction was to correct the kite but soon realized releasing was mandatory. tried for the release off my chicken loop but was unable too successfully grab it because of all the bouncing around I was doing. I finally reached up and grabbed that funny looking loop labeled EMERGENCY located above my bar at the same level as the depower strap. this relase is an easy to grab, crescent shaped loop which attatches to both center lines and one rear line. in an emergency, grab it and pull. front lines will release first, then the rear line will release. this leaves you attatched to one rear line. peole make fun of this release and have mentioned not buying RRD kite stuff because of it. my response- e_t s_ _t. this thing worked and saved me from a possible "incident". i personally don't trust release systems located on the chicken loop below the bar. the position is too awkward for a reliable release. instinctually one will not take their eyes off the horizon to look down and grab a little red loop. i tried for this one first and was unable to grab it. there is something to be said for having a release right in front of your face in an easy to grab position, even under adverse conditions. thanks to arpi for yelling for me. i picked my kite up high so he could see it, knowing I was ok and picking up the pieces. did a slick hand off to jake of my rolled up kite and board and he eloquently kited the stuff to the beach one handed. i was well inland when i finally stopped. very lucky there were no logs, rocks, fences or other obstacles in my path. KITING NEAR SHORE IS DANGEROUS, especially in onshore conditions.
jason morton

Postby Carl Christensen » Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:23 pm

yipes! glad you got hold of that thing.
Carl C.
Carl Christensen

Return to Wind Log